Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhk
Visitor
Visitor

Ultrascale Configuration Pins - not a valid pin name

Jump to solution

Hello,

I want to access an external spi-flash memory through a custom flash controller at a Kintex UltraScale XCKU115-FLVA1517.

The controller works fine with different FPGAs of the 7series. In the UltraScale Design I entcounter a problem when I try to add the configuration ports to the constraints file:

screenshot.png

Pin AB9, AE11, AD10, AC9, AD9 should be the dedicated configuration pins of the xcku115-flva1517. The relevant section of my constraints file is as follows:

set_property PACKAGE_PIN AB9 [get_ports qspi_config_spi_csn]
set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 [get_ports qspi_config_spi_csn]
set_property PACKAGE_PIN AE11 [get_ports {qspi_config_spi_d[0]}]
set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 [get_ports {qspi_config_spi_d[0]}]
set_property PACKAGE_PIN AD10 [get_ports {qspi_config_spi_d[1]}]
set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 [get_ports {qspi_config_spi_d[1]}]
set_property PACKAGE_PIN AC9 [get_ports {qspi_config_spi_d[2]}]
set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 [get_ports {qspi_config_spi_d[2]}]
set_property PACKAGE_PIN AD9 [get_ports {qspi_config_spi_d[3]}]
set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 [get_ports {qspi_config_spi_d[3]}]

set_property CFGBVS VCCO [current_design]
set_property CONFIG_VOLTAGE 3.3 [current_design]

Do I miss something? Is there something different between UltraScale and 7series which might be relevant for my problem? Do I need some additional constraints to access the dedicated configuration pins with UltraScale?

Thanks in advance.

Jan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kkn

in ultrascale the spi data pins d0 to d3 are in dedicated bank, so to use in your design you need to use startupe3 primitive

check the following 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1280-us-post-cnfg-flash-startupe3.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies
gnarahar

@jhk These are Dedicated Config Pins and cannot be user assigned. Check Page#27-28 of UG575. The pins you trying to lock are part of Bank 0. 

Are you sure you were doing it in 7-series? I believe you were locking them to Multi-function pins and not Dedicated pins in bank 0 of the 7-series device.  

- Giri
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kkn

in ultrascale the spi data pins d0 to d3 are in dedicated bank, so to use in your design you need to use startupe3 primitive

check the following 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1280-us-post-cnfg-flash-startupe3.pdf

View solution in original post

jhk
Visitor
Visitor

@gnaraharthanks for your reply.

You are right. UG575, p.28 says that the data pins and chip-select are dedicated for UltraScale whereas the corresponding pins in a 7series device are multi-function (UG475, p.27). I was able to access the configuration flash via my custom spi-controller with a XC7VX485T and some 7series Artix devices.

Best regards,

Jan

0 Kudos
jhk
Visitor
Visitor

@kknthanks for your reply.

I will have a look at the XAPP1280 Application Note.

Best regards,

Jan

0 Kudos