Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Using ICAP to load full bitstream

Jump to solution

I've used the ICAP in previous designs to load partial bitstreams. Is it possible to load full bitstreams via the ICAP?

I'm using Zynq devices if that makes any difference.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Yes if you use the ARM processor PCAP,

No, if you use ICAP.

The processor has a by default at startup connection to ICAP, called PCAP for convenience.

That is how you may load bitstreams once the processors are up and running (on the demo boards you can map the PCAP to a /dev/mnt file in Linux, and then just pipe the file to the configuration memory).

If you are in the programmable logic, using ICAP, then no, you cannot load an entire bitstream because to instantiate and use ICAP that way uses configuration bits.  You would have to create a partial bitstream that did not overwrite the ICAP interface while loading.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Yes if you use the ARM processor PCAP,

No, if you use ICAP.

The processor has a by default at startup connection to ICAP, called PCAP for convenience.

That is how you may load bitstreams once the processors are up and running (on the demo boards you can map the PCAP to a /dev/mnt file in Linux, and then just pipe the file to the configuration memory).

If you are in the programmable logic, using ICAP, then no, you cannot load an entire bitstream because to instantiate and use ICAP that way uses configuration bits.  You would have to create a partial bitstream that did not overwrite the ICAP interface while loading.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick reply.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello,I am a student .I have a problem.Recently,I wan to use the  ICAP in previous designs to  partial bitstreams .But I am not how to use. Beause I don't know how to use address of  WBSTAR ?  Can you help me ?

0 Kudos