cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dylancob
Contributor
Contributor

Using Xilinx iMPACT without using Xilinx iMPACT - Command Prompt?

Jump to solution

I'm looking to program FPGAs through JTAG, similar to how iMPACT does, but I would like to write a script to do this, i.e. automate. iMPACT is a real pain, due to OS constraints (Windows 10), so I would like to just do it through a TCL console or the ISE Design Suite Command Prompt. 

I have the file I want to program, and a Xilinx Programmer, I just want to be able to automate the programming. I've written similar scripts in the past for Vivado, just nothing for actually programming parts.. The parts I'm going to be programming include Spartan 6, Spartan 7, and a couple Virtex chips

I'm thinking of just using a TCL console and possibly bit banging this, but there has to be an easier method out there right?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dylancob
Contributor
Contributor

I ended up using the batch mode for iMPACT, worked out pretty well I just created a script that mimicked what iMPACT does on a programming sequence by reading the BATCH CMD lines in the iMPACT console

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
watari
Teacher
Teacher
dylancob
Contributor
Contributor

I did look through that, one thing about that SVF thing - is it device/port specific? Or can I make just one for all the Spartan 7s I want to program?

Also, a lot of this is dependent on being able to program Spartan 6's and earlier devices, which I know Vivado doesn't support (i.e. svf won't be the way to go). Does ISE have a similar feature where I can do something similar? I know it defaults to running iMPACT, but my goal is to not have to deal with that backwards compatibility issues of Windows 10 and iMPACT

0 Kudos
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @dylancob 

Did you refer the following document ?

>https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_2/ug908-vivado-programming-debugging.pdf#page=105

In my acknowledgement, ISE and Vivado support SVF. So it seems a solution for you except I guess ISE iMPACT doesn't natively support Windows10.

Best regards,

dylancob
Contributor
Contributor

I ended up using the batch mode for iMPACT, worked out pretty well I just created a script that mimicked what iMPACT does on a programming sequence by reading the BATCH CMD lines in the iMPACT console

View solution in original post

0 Kudos