Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RRN1
Visitor
Visitor

Vivado 2020.1 Sythesis probelm

Jump to solution

I have a simple inverter before a register in VHDL that is shown correctly in RTL Analysis schematic but when implemented, is totally ignored.  This is preventing some of my logic from coming out of reset.  I know the clock is working since my LEDs flash from a register clocked by this and I know the system reset is released for the same reason.  This leaves just the inverter.  I know it is not implemented because I monitored the input and output signals with an ILA.  The output = input which is wrong.  I have attached screen captures to clarify the issue.  The VHDL show the source process, the Elaborated Schematic shows the correctly inferred logic, the Synthesis shows FDRE with a hint of an inverter in the cell name (isys_s2mm_reset_s_reg_inv), the Implementation schematic shows the same as the Synthesis schematic.  The Hardware Manager ILA capture clearly shows isys_mm2s_reset_s <= mm2s_prmry_reset_out_n_0 when isysrst99m99_s (active-high system reset) is released.  This is wrong, it should be isys_mm2s_reset_s <= NOT mm2s_prmry_reset_out_n_0

Does anyone know of a setting that could cause this?  Is this a bug in the tools?

Hope someone can help.  Thank you.

VHDL.png
Hardware Manager - ILA capture of inputs and outputs.png
Implementation - Schematic.png
Synthesised - Schematic.png
RTL Analysis - Elaborated Design.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RRN1
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for the reply.  I was debugging why my MCDMA was not working when I noticed that my resets weren't what I expected them to be and so I came across this behavior which threw me.  Of course on closer inspection, I used the wrong polarity reset further down the line so I suspect a different reason for my design not coming out of reset.  Happy debug days!  Thanks again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
yannickl
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Looking at the generated cells, your register was also changed from FDSE to FDRE. I'd assume this optimization was done to better pack the registers in a slice and I'd bet the inverting equivalent logic happens on the reset net.

Also, don't go looking for a NOT cell. After synthesis (or within Vivado the implicit step of tech mapping) it won't exist anymore. FPGAs use LUTs.

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
RRN1
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for the reply.  I was debugging why my MCDMA was not working when I noticed that my resets weren't what I expected them to be and so I came across this behavior which threw me.  Of course on closer inspection, I used the wrong polarity reset further down the line so I suspect a different reason for my design not coming out of reset.  Happy debug days!  Thanks again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos