cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Connect SPI Flash ROM to MicroBlaze

Hi,

Is there a good tutorial for how to connect SPI Flash ROM and MicroBlaze?

Thank you.

abdullah
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

You have two choices for interfacing to SPI flash ROM:

1.  MicroBlaze bit-bang

2.  Conventional HW SPI interface, with byte-level or word-level interface to MicroBlaze.

If you really want to go the bit-bang route, just search for "SPI PicoBlaze".  One of the XAPP reference designs for Picoblaze is a bit-bang SPI interface.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Do you have a development board?  Base System Builder will connect a SPI Flash for you.  I suspect any dev. board with SPI Flash will show you how in the Intro to MicroBlaze tutorial for that board.

Bryan

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I use Digilent Atlys board. I couldn't see any tutorial so far.

Thanks.

abdullah
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would run the Atlys reference design provided on the digilent website (to use under XPS 12.x).  In that way you are already sure to have to good system assembly.  (probably you might want delete the TEMAC instance and all its ports in the UCF file... if you dont have the license for TEMAC).

I also saw that digilent uses their own IP core for the SPI  and there is also a small code that added that will test the SPI ... so this should work out OK I think.

Serge

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@yildiz.a wrote:

Thanks.

Do you want to use the SPI memory as general-purpose data storage, or for the micro's program?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@bassman59 wrote:

@yildiz.a wrote:

Thanks.

Do you want to use the SPI memory as general-purpose data storage, or for the micro's program?

As a first step, I want to learn how to do general-purpose data transfer, then I want my code to run from SPI flash memory.

Thank you.

abdullah
0 Kudos