cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vibhor

Finding out Execution time

Hi

please could anyone help me how to find out the total execution time or the number of clock cycles for any code in xilinx..

thanks

vibhor

0 Kudos
6 Replies
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

How do you tell when to start and stop counting clock cycles?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
vibhor

since i want to find out the total execution time..i would want to start the count of clock cycles as the input is given and stop when the output is found..

0 Kudos
eilert
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

your question is pointless.

Since systems behave different according to their design, it might even be that you have a variable latency (a better expression as "execution time" which applies more to software).

Latencys can be calculated, but this calculation is as specific as the design of a system, so you can't expect a general answer.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

i would want to start the count of clock cycles as the input is given and stop when the output is found.

So build into your design a counter which starts when the input is given and stops when the output is found.

Your design is smart enough to do this, right?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
bassman59
Historian
Historian

@vibhor wrote:

Hi

please could anyone help me how to find out the total execution time or the number of clock cycles for any code in xilinx..

thanks

vibhor

This isn't software. It's hardware. Think hardware.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
joelby
Advisor
Advisor

Maybe they were talking about ISE? In that case, it's usually slow when you're in a hurry - but that seems to be a universal law.
0 Kudos