UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Highlighted

Help determining if parts are counterfeit

I'm working with an old design that utilizes the long obsolete XC3020A and XC3030A FPGA. I've found a stock of components that will allow our company enough time to design out these obsolete FPGA but in the meantime, I need to validate the stock that has been located. What is the best method for ensuring the parts are not counterfeit? We've had issues in the past with these parts being received in as counterfeit versions.

Visitor

Re: Help determining if parts are counterfeit

Buying them from a Xilinx authorized distributor,

Anything less, is not going to guarantee you anything (other than you will spend a lot of time or money, and learn little to nothing).

Every scrap heap has people actively harvesting these old devices.  No one cares if they are any good, because it is easier to claim they have been handled properly, and collect money, than it would be to actually remove the devices safely and carefully.  Even if you were careful, there is zero chance some devices are not already damaged, or beyond their end of life.

Just move on.

Scholar

@dylansirbaugh

I think @lowearthorbit is a little pessimistic, I don't think the odds of finding genuine parts are truly zero.  The odds are just really low.  You may find an honest obsolete parts vendor, but it's next to impossible to be sure.  Still, Xilinx won't guarantee any part not from an authorized distributor and you are probably dealing with a design at least 20 years old.  There are probably other obsolete parts.  Unless you can find reliable sources for all of them, you will be doing some redesign anyway.  Bite the bullet and put in a Spartan7.

Scholar

Having seen similar questions many times here, I can easily tell you what Xilinx's response will be: "If you bought the chips from an authorized Xilinx distributor, then they are genuine. If you did not, then we can offer absolutely no help on this topic".

Realistically - get a suitable socket for the chips, load your code, verify functionality at high and low temperature limits (eg. for a -I device, -40°C to +85°C and across the allowable voltage range. If they pass that, there's not much more testing you can do.

Visitor

Note,

Reclaimed scrap parts may fail within about a month once they get powered on due to latent ESD or physical package damage caused by the rough handling.

Excess (old) stock may have been improperly handled, and zapped by ESD, also leading to failures soon after power is applied.

If in its original static protected package, labels unbroken, it might be just fine (unless it was re-packaged to look good).