UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer flor1an
Observer

Impact - indirect flash programming error

Hello everyone,

i´m trying to flash a M25P128 16MB Flash device which is connected to a Spartan-6 XC6SLX9-2FTG256C via SPI with a .mcs-file that has 6MB and 4 bytes. When i try to "add SPI/BPI Flash" in IMPACT i get the following error:

Screenshot.jpg

According to "Introduction to Indirect Programming – SPI or BPI Flash Memory" Spartan 6 should support indirect flash programming up to 128MB with a M25P Flash device. Can anyone give me a hint what i´m doing wrong please.

Thanks

Florian

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: Impact - indirect flash programming error

Hi Florian,

Can you check if you are assigning the correct mcs file for the SPI flash attached to the spartan LX9 device.

can you attach the .prm file.

--Krishna

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Florian,

The error message states that the size of the mcs file is greater than the supported size.

Can you please share the .prm file; this file will have the details of the generated mcs file?

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Check whether used Flash is supported in your used  tools version or not. The help topics in impact tools has supported flash list

Please check the voltages. Also send send satatus register details

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Observer flor1an
Observer

thanks for the fast replay. Programming the flash already worked with another file which was delivered by an open source project. So the flash is provieded with the right voltage i guess. But now i`m trying to follow this instruction to create my own flash image:

screenshot2.jpg

I did not use IMPACT PROM File Formatter to create the new .mcs-file but "HexEditor".

Reading the status register says this:

Screenshot1.jpg

0 Kudos

Hi,

can you compare the working mcs file with the non working mcs file for the address the data(bin, signature and bootloader) stored are matching or not.

Also is the mcs file size is same for the working and non working file?

--Krishna

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer flor1an
Observer

comparing the two files was not possible because the working one does not contain a AFPGA bitstream nor a SDB filesystem signature. But i tried to assign a .mcs file to the flash which was of a smaller size than the working .mcs file and i still got the error so i guess something went wrong during the creation of the custom .mcs file. So i think the error is not caused by IMPACt but by the creation of the file.

thank you for your help

Florian

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Florian,

That's right. There could be some issue while creating the mcs file.

Try to recreate the mcs file by following the steps and update the thread if you find the resolution.

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos