Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
intrealm
Visitor
Visitor

Maintaining Network Nodes State

Hi there,

I have a client-server application that is made up of one central/server FPGA board and a network of nodes/clients of FPGA boards. It is a computational application. Each board is assigned a number from 1 to n (N can vary from 3 initial to 20 in the future).

The central board must send a message to all the boards to tell them to start performing computations and then must wait for all the boards to report that they finished the computations. Multiple boards should be able to report to the server in parallel/concurrently.

Can someone tell me how can I implement that in the main board? Should I use an array to maintain the state (sent-1, 0- not sent)?

Do I need a high-end board (~ $10,000) for the server or can I get away with a low-cost board? What is the recommendation?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Nick

0 Kudos
10 Replies
rcingham
Teacher
Teacher

"Can someone tell me how can I implement that in the main board?"
How much are you paying per hour?

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
intrealm
Visitor
Visitor

How can I send a private message with this forum interface?
0 Kudos
intrealm
Visitor
Visitor

Or maybe you can give me your email address and I will send you an email later on today.
0 Kudos
intrealm
Visitor
Visitor

Found the link for private messages.
0 Kudos
rcingham
Teacher
Teacher

My implied point is that for detailed and complex system design assistance, expecting free help in a forum dedicated to a specific vendor's technology is a bit unreasonable... If there is nobody in your organization who can solve that problem, you should start recruiting for such a person.

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
intrealm
Visitor
Visitor

I am not expecting free help, just looking for opinions from multiple people.

Perhaps we should just buy the boards without documentation, ask no questions, get no support, stop looking for example code which seems nowhere to be found, to help improve the vendor bottom line.

For sure.

0 Kudos
eteam00
Professor
Professor

I am not expecting free help...

Of course you are expecting free help.  There's nothing wrong with that.  This forum is established to provide free help.

Perhaps we should just buy the boards without documentation, ask no questions, get no support, stop looking for example code which seems nowhere to be found, to help improve the vendor bottom line.

That's silly.

I suggest you start over.  Keep in mind that this is primarily a forum site for FPGA and product designers.  There are specific forums devoted to FPGA-based development boards, but these boards are designed first and foremost for developing FPGA designs and applications.

The description you posted lacks most of the detail required to compose a useful response.  If you are knowledgeable in the arts of hardware (and, specifically, FPGA) design, then you should be able to add enough specific details which will lead to a useful set of (more or less) specific suggestions.  The answers you get will be no better than the information you provide.

The application you describe sounds simple enough, given the absence of details.  Let's see where additional context and detail will lead the discussion.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
intrealm
Visitor
Visitor

I did sent a private message to rcighan in which I was offering to pay for help.

First, I am scientist and I just started with FPGA a couple of weeks ago. Given that there is no subforum for Jobs I guess I thought of posting something under General Discussion. 

Second we do a lot of differential equations (millions to start, a lot more down the road) and I must say that being unable to find an example of such a system on Xilinx site is quite surprising.

I'll find someone to give me another opinion. And I am going to check Altera for a change.

0 Kudos
eteam00
Professor
Professor

If you go shopping for a design engineer on a FPGA manufacturer's website, the solution you end up with may very well be a custom board design with an FPGA on it.  Or it may be an off-the-shelf board with an FPGA on it.  You know the old saying:

'If the only tool you have is a hammer, all of your problems start looking like nails'

...or something like that.

I'm sure (and I hope) that you know more about your application's requirements than what you have yet described or disclosed.  Based on what little you've written, it may well be that your quickest and cheapest option would be to shop for a software developer rather than (in addition to a software developer) a hardware designer.  A network-connected windows (or Linux) PC sounds well suited to the 'main board' application, to the extent you have described.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
eteam00
Professor
Professor

intrealm,

After reviewing your posting history, I agree that you would benefit from the services of a hardware designer.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos