UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New design ! What series should i choose ?

Hi,

i have to start a new design. I am asked to choose a FPGA that will be available for longer as possible
> Minimum 10 years
> 30 if possible.

this is not a very very complexe design. Basicaly we need to decode some low speed databus.

Can you advice me on what is the better serie to be sure that we will not need to redesign our hardware in the next year because the part is not available anymore ?

Many tanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: New design ! What series should i choose ?

@julienbouille

I would suggest you get in contact with our sales representative and share the detail requirement. They will help in selecting the device as per the requirement.

https://www.xilinx.com/about/contact/sales-reps.html

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

It sounds like any currently supported FPGA will satisfy your needs from a performance point of view - although, you may need to look more carefully at the I/O voltages required.

There are 4 "current" families - Spartan-6, 7 series, UltraScale, UltraScale+. None of these have an announced end-of-life, and Xilinx has a history of announcing end-of-life WAY in advance, so even the oldest of these (Spartan-6) will likely be around for a good number of years.

The 7 series are newer, hence will be around for longer. Of particular interest are the Artix-7 and Spartan-7; there are a number of smaller (hence lower cost) members of these families.

The newest devices (UltraScale and UltraScale+) will likely be around for the longest, but there are no small devices in these families; these will all likely be overkill for a small, low performance design.

But, as for exactly how long a family will last, no one really knows. As @syedz said, your FAE may be able to help you, but even the FAEs likely won't be able to give you an end-of-life date if it hasn't been officially announced.

Avrum

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

The normal chip for "bus decoding" would be something like a CoolRunner II - but those aren't supported even in current software (there is no Windows 10 compatible toolchain for the CoolRunner II). I wouldn't be starting a new project with one.

How low-speed is this data bus? Is the task something that a microcontroller could handle? ST guarantees a minimum of 15-year longevity for most of their automotive MCUs, and 10-year for the ARM ones - and, as has been said above, getting a Xilinx chip that is both new and small/cheap is a major challenge.

0 Kudos