Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cosmiac
Visitor
Visitor

Questions about Power Analyzer

Jump to solution

Hello,

I was wondering how the Xilinx Power Analyzer comes up with its power data. Does it run the system through some kind of benchmark? Is the data just the power consumption for the part alone or the entire design?

Shouldn't a design implemented on with a Spartan 6 LX75T Development Kit +MicroBlaze@66MHz consume less power than the same VHDL design on a Spartan 6 LX150T Development Kit + MicroBlaze@100Mhz?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
austin
Scholar
Scholar

XPA (the analyzer) will use a .vcd simulation stimulus file, and calculate the togfgling at all nodes fotr the dynamic power, and add that to the static power.

If you do not provide the .vcd file, it assumes a 50% toggling of all inputs, the clock frequencies you specify, and does tghe same set of calculations.

The less information you give it, the more error there is (garbage in = garbage out).  The better the information you give it, the better the estimate it will deliver.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

View solution in original post

11 Replies
austin
Scholar
Scholar

XPA (the analyzer) will use a .vcd simulation stimulus file, and calculate the togfgling at all nodes fotr the dynamic power, and add that to the static power.

If you do not provide the .vcd file, it assumes a 50% toggling of all inputs, the clock frequencies you specify, and does tghe same set of calculations.

The less information you give it, the more error there is (garbage in = garbage out).  The better the information you give it, the better the estimate it will deliver.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

View solution in original post

cosmiac
Visitor
Visitor

what is confusing me in our design, is that using the Xpower analyzer with our design, and an embedded Microblaze processor clocked at 100 Mhz is averaging about 700 mW of power use, but then the same exact design on an LX75T with the embedded Microblaze at 66Mhz is averaging 761 mW of power consumption. Is the LX150T better optimized for low power consumption than the LX75T perhaps?

0 Kudos
austin
Scholar
Scholar

Nope,

There is something else going on that you are missing.

It this static + dynamic?

If it is, look at them separately.  Static increases roughly lineraly with part size, twice as big is twice the static component.

The same logic, in the same family, at the same frequency, is roughly the same dynamic power.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
cosmiac
Visitor
Visitor

The XPA summary shows both dynamic and static but the numbers I refered to were for total power. I didn't change any settings between the two XPA reports, just the microblaze settings and spartan 6 boards. How do you setup and add a .vcd simulation stimulus file?

0 Kudos
cosmiac
Visitor
Visitor

Any chance you could point me to the Kintex 7 Embedded kit .bsb file?

0 Kudos
austin
Scholar
Scholar
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/k7embd_13-4.htm
Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
cosmiac
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
sushantm
Voyager
Voyager

Can anyone please share the links for Documents which will help/guide us in using the Power analyser.

0 Kudos
cosmiac
Visitor
Visitor
0 Kudos
prathyu.931

0 Kudos
prathyu.931

0 Kudos