Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vivekfcs
Visitor
Visitor

RECONFIGURATION OF FPGA

Hello,

I'm interested in working out "Reconfiguration of FPGA using embedded System Approach". I have gone through the pdf file  http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp058.pdf. I have also noticed a design files along with it, I'm not much clear about what that design file represent and how it works. I also need to know how that design files have to be run.Is JTAG interface is the only configuration method that i can be used? Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
eilert
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

the JTAG programming method is the most versatile one.

As can be seen in the FPGAs datasheet, there are several serial and parallel configuration methods.

You can use these too, from a microprocessor when the FPGA operates on the slave mode.

In this case you simply transfer the bitfile via the microprocessor to the FPGA and provide a clock or write strobe.

For the designfiles, are you refering to the C-codes in Appendix A and B of xapp058?

The first one is an application example which needs to be adapted to the I/O of your desired microprocessor system.

The second one is just a format converter, in case you need Intel HEX files for your programming system (The configuration data has to be stored somewhere).

This XAPP is quite generic, and if you are going to use it, ther's a lot of work to do from your side, since it will be just a small part of your microprocessor design, which is unknown to the authors of the application note.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos
vivekfcs
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Eilert,

Thank you.Yes i referred to Appendix A of xapp058. Should the design files micro.c, lenval.c,ports.c should be changed according to the microcontroller selected?For which microcontroller the codes written in appendix will be best suited with a mere change.

In JTAG programming method TMS,TCK have to be generated by a microcontroller, in such cases what are the conditions to be noted? In what rate the bits should be passed in TDI pin,is there any condition for it.

Thank You. 

0 Kudos
eilert
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

as far as I could see, only ports.c must be adapted to your systems needs. I haven't looked at the code, but I think it will be very much the same effort for any actual microcontroller.

The timing requirements for the JTAG interface can be found in the datasheet of your desired FPGA.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert 

0 Kudos
vivekfcs
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Eilert,

Thank you.I ll work on it and find out how to communicate a embedded processor and a FPGA. Thank You. 

0 Kudos