UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Visitor

Xilinx issues on Linux

Hello,

I am running Linux (Ubuntu 64 bit) and am having some problems with Xilinx.

Ise is running nicely, however the xilinx cable driver is not supported for modern kernels (I am using 3.0, but I heard that it is already unsupported for later 2.6 kernels).

Luckily a good working and stable open source driver can be found here:

http://rmdir.de/~michael/xilinx/

Another problem is that I am still unable to run fpga_editor.

I have found forum messages from 2008 stating that I have to configure my DISPLAY variable, but still no success.:

$fpga_editor

No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Wind/U X-toolkit Error: wuDisplay: Can't open display

$export DISPLAY=:0

$fpga_editor

Cannot register service: RPC: Authentication error; why = Client credential too weak
unable to register (registryProg, registryVers, tcp)
(as root)

#fpga_editor

Warning!!: XKEYSYMDB environment variable is set to a wrong location
Segmentation fault

#export XKEYSYMDB=/usr/share/X11/XKeysymDB

#fpga_editor

Segmentation fault

That's af far as I have tried, I am giving up. Any ideas on how to get fpga_editor to work? (yes, I have also tried DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0)

Historian

Re: Xilinx issues on Linux

fransschreuder wrote:

Hello,

I am running Linux (Ubuntu 64 bit) and am having some problems with Xilinx.

That's af far as I have tried, I am giving up. Any ideas on how to get fpga_editor to work? 

Try using a supported operating system.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
Visitor

I had already expected this non-answer, thanks a lot for helping me out

Historian

fransschreuder wrote:

I had already expected this non-answer, thanks a lot for helping me out

Well, we aim to please :)

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
Visitor

Well, I am really wondering which share of the linux users is actually using those supported OSes, Red Hat enterprise as well as Suse enterprise are both rather outdated. It would be good for xilinx to build a kind of poll to see which linux distributions their customers are actually using and build their support on that.

Well, anyway we are already polluting this forum with messages, does anyone actually have an answer to my question?

Adventurer

[ Edited ]

Same problem here (Xubuntu 12.04 64b, ISE 14.1 FPGA Editor).

I ran `gdb fpga_editor` to see if I got anything more useful than "Segmentation fault"; the error seems to be on a function call to wuGetTextExtent(), maybe that gives someone a clue of what's happening:

Reading symbols from /opt/Xilinx/14.1/ISE_DS/ISE/bin/lin64/fpga_editor...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /opt/Xilinx/14.1/ISE_DS/ISE/bin/lin64/fpga_editor 
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
process 5411 is executing new program: /opt/Xilinx/14.1/ISE_DS/ISE/bin/lin64/fpga_editor
BFD: /opt/Xilinx/14.1/ISE_DS/ISE//lib/lin64/libisl_iostreams.so: version count (4792) does not match symbol count (4790)
process 5411 is executing new program: /opt/Xilinx/14.1/ISE_DS/ISE/bin/lin64/_fpga_editor
BFD: /opt/Xilinx/14.1/ISE_DS/ISE//lib/lin64/libisl_iostreams.so: version count (4792) does not match symbol count (4790)
Wind/U Error (193): X-Resource: DefaultGUIFontSpec (-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-14-*) does not fully specify a font set for this locale

Warning!!: XKEYSYMDB environment variable is set to a wrong location 
[New Thread 0x7fffdcdd8700 (LWP 5417)]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007fffe26fb722 in wuGetTextExtent ()
from /opt/Xilinx/14.1/ISE_DS/ISE//lib/lin64/libgdi50.so
(gdb)

I remember FPGA Editor (at least 12.1) working on Ubuntu 10.04 32b; maybe it's a problem that only affects 64b computers.

I agree with fransschreuder in that it would be nice that Ubuntu and other major Linux distributions were supported.

Advisor

Hi,

indeed it would be nice if it would run on Ubuntu too.

But I think in this case either Canonical or you are to blame rather than Xilinx.

We have all versions of Xilinx ISE from 10.1 to 14.1 running under Debian.

And lately we changed to the latest 64 bit Squeeze without problems.

I just checked for ISE 13.4 and ISE 14.1, both are using the lin64 libs on our server.

So, since Ubuntu is just some Debian variant, it's a problem of the libraries and their versions installed on your system.

See what you can do about that. 

Regards

Eilert

Adventurer

Since the libraries are the same on Ubuntu than Debian (they are imported from Debian Wheezy to Ubuntu Precise), this shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, my problem is not with ISE (as in the Project Navigator), it's with FPGA Editor.  I suspect it has to do with motif.  Does fpga editor work for you?  I remember it used to work 2 years ago (Xilinx 12.1, Ubuntu 10.04, 32 bits).  The info from gdb doesn't seem very useful (except maybe for Xilinx developers).

I am having the same issue. Hopefully someone can give some ideas

Advisor

Hi,

yes, fpga-editor works in version 13.4 and 14.1 with 64-bit debian 6.

However, i can not tell wether our system admin has made tweaks to the library naming or even added missing libraries.

We have had some issues with fpga-editor in the past but they are resolved now.

Kind regards

Eilert