cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesjisun
Visitor
Visitor

can I specify which interconnection to use during synthesis?

Hi there,

I am wondering if I can ask the synthesis tools to use interconnection I prefer? such as if there is long wire available, please use long wire instead of doublewire or other kind of wire.

Thanks,

J

0 Kudos
7 Replies
eteam00
Professor
Professor

Not as far as I know.  Why would you want to do such a thing?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
jamesjisun
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I want to use long wires to compare the performance of my design with short wires.

Cheers,

J

0 Kudos
joelby
Advisor
Advisor

I doubt there's much call for a parameter to do this, but you can fiddle with the routing of your design using FPGA Editor, and to make the changes a bit more permanent, add user constraints for the routing.

0 Kudos
jamesjisun
Visitor
Visitor

@joelby wrote:

I doubt there's much call for a parameter to do this, but you can fiddle with the routing of your design using FPGA Editor, and to make the changes a bit more permanent, add user constraints for the routing.

Yeah, I am trying to do this.  However, it's too complicated in FPGA editor. I can point out which long line I want to use, but it's hard to get it routed to a specific SLICE. Is there a way that I can select long line and let it autoroute for the rest of the path instead of the whole path being rerouted?

0 Kudos
joelby
Advisor
Advisor

You could do something crazy, like wire two pins on the far side of the FPGA together and use them as an input and output.

That should give you a large routing and pad delay, which is even adjustable if you have a big spool of wire.

0 Kudos
jamesjisun
Visitor
Visitor

@joelby wrote:

You could do something crazy, like wire two pins on the far side of the FPGA together and use them as an input and output.

That should give you a large routing and pad delay, which is even adjustable if you have a big spool of wire.

actually, in that case, FPGA editor's autoroute will utilize short wires to be segmented instead of a long wire placed...

0 Kudos
joelby
Advisor
Advisor

Sorry, I think I was taking the definition of 'long wires' a bit too literally.

0 Kudos