UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie levi111

converting .MCS to .hex or .bin

Hi there,

I have a xilinx .msc which contains bitfile data + micorblaze C code.

Looking at the .mcs I can see that there's around 1meg of empty space between the microblaze code and the bitfile data.
I can tell that by looking at the .mcs address vectors which are located before each data segment.

However, when using promgen to convert the .msc to .bin, the result is one file where the C code starts immediately after the bitfile data. This looks like a bug in the promgen conversion, or, something I don't do right:

promgen -w -p bin -r file1.mcs -o file1.bin

Happy to hear if anyone has any idea

Amir

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: converting .MCS to .hex or .bin

It sounds like a bug, and I can easily see how it happens.  a .bin or .hex file has no addressing info in it, so the only way to deal with the gap in the MCS file would be to pad the data with some value (fill in the approximately 1M between the end of the bit file and the start of the code using 0 or some other value).  It would seem that the file converter is ignoring the gap in the .mcs addressing and just packing the two sections together.

What's the reason you're doing this file conversion?  i.e. what do you need a .bin or .hex file for?

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Please check http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/36210.html

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

The command is correct.  Which version of tools are you using?

0 Kudos