Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geco.kevin
Adventurer
Adventurer

csv file based LUT

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I am doing a project that requires me to implement a fairly large LUT in verilog. I'd like to generate the values in MATLAB and then import them into the verilog with a .csv or similar file, rather than just typing them all in by hand. Does anyone have any advice as to how to do this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Thank you

interesting,

Do I understand then by LUT your meaning the RAM blocks,

and your using them as a Look Up Table to do the distortion ,

You can use an external file to load RAMs directly 

this might give you a few pointers,

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Spartan-Family-FPGAs/Initializing-Block-RAM-with-External-Data-File/td-p/229193

Loading RAMS externally is  used a lot in the PicoBlaze project, allows one to change the code in the ram without having to re compile the FPGA completely,

Have fun and let us know how it goes,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
evgenis1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi,

One way to implement this is as follows. Instead of generating CSV with the LUT values, you can generate Verilog file. Something like that: 

initial begin: my_lut_vals

lut_val[0] = 'h11223344
lut_val[1] = 'h55667788
end

Then include that file in place you instantiate the LUT.

reg [31:0] lut_vals [1:N];
`include "my_lut_vals.vh"

Thanks,

Evgeni

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Can I ask , for my own knowledge why you want to implement the logic values in MATLAB ?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
geco.kevin
Adventurer
Adventurer

I am making a driver, and I want to implement complex digital predistortion to the data. I can use Matlab to generate filters and such and then load the results into a LUT. This takes the burden off of circuitry doing computationally intensive work.

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Thank you

interesting,

Do I understand then by LUT your meaning the RAM blocks,

and your using them as a Look Up Table to do the distortion ,

You can use an external file to load RAMs directly 

this might give you a few pointers,

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Spartan-Family-FPGAs/Initializing-Block-RAM-with-External-Data-File/td-p/229193

Loading RAMS externally is  used a lot in the PicoBlaze project, allows one to change the code in the ram without having to re compile the FPGA completely,

Have fun and let us know how it goes,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos