cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

opening large RTL designs in Xilinx ISE ...

hi,

i have a large RTL design which has about 200+ files (.vhd modules, .v modules etc.). it's basically an asic design that i need to port to FPGA.

i have filelists for the design. but they are more for vcs, spyglass tools format.

so my question is - if i have such a big design and i want to open it in xilinx, how do i do so? should i manually add the 200+ files in the heirarchy? 

i know there is an import custom file list option but it doesnt seem to pick my file lists (perhaps because of other constructs in the list). so do i need to change the filelists to adhere to xilinx syntax? if so, any details about xilinx supported file lists online? and can xilinx pick file lists that point to other files which then point to the actual file/dir?

what other optiions do i have to open large designs/file-lists in xilinx ISE?

please note - i am not worried about non-fpga constructs at this moment, just want to be able to see the design heirarchy without any missing modules etc. i am using xilinx ISE 14.1

help.

z.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

As you already have a file list, edit that to xilinx supported format.

Check this link http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/ise_c_importing_custom_compile_file_list.htm

Are all these files present in a single directory?

Thanks,
Deepika.
Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

hi,

thanks. i had already looked at the link. 

the files i have are in different folders. so the question is -

are things like $relative_path_variable/foldername/file.v type of syntaxes supported by ISE?

can we simply include directories (like we do in vcs) and all the files in the dir will be automatically included in the heir?

is there a more detailed list of syntaxes supported by the ISE import custom file list function?

please point me to it ...

thanks ...

z.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

In "Add source" you can select all files in a directory at once and add them to the project.

Check if this helps.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

hi,

i am only able to select files by ctrl+left click. however is there any option where files present in a particular folder can be included directly? (doing ctrl+left click for 200+ files is not ideal)

z.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Scripts are your friend.  Even in ISE.  It's easier in Vivado but still works in ISE.

XST needs your RTL files to be read in like:

verilog work "foo.v"

verilog work "bar.v"

The filenames can be a full path (relative paths suggested).

We call our file "fpga.prj"

Massage your filelist too look like the above. 

Then you need and an "fpga.xst" file:

It looks like

run -ofmt verilog -ifn fpga.prj ...

The "..." is a list of XST options that you desire for XST.

Use the help / documentation / dummy run though with a small example in the gui to create/massage this file.

Then run xst with

xst -ifn fpga.xst -ofn fpga_xst.log

You're good to go.  Bonus for tying it all together with Make, and automagically creating you're list of file depedencies.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

You can select one file and do ctrl+A to select all files in that directory.

Thanks,
Deepika.
Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos