UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer andrewsi
Observer

Cosim fails but no error message tells what's wrong...

I'm using 2018.3.  My normal C testbench runs to completion with no errors and the synthesis seems to be fine.  However, when I run the cosimulation, after it completes running the ordinary C simulation, I get the following.  I am at a loss to determine what the problem is.  The design has what I believe should be a sufficient DEPTH parameter for the AXI interface, and I have in fact raised it previously to the point where a SIGSEGV was generated, and then reduced it again.

Where would one begin troubleshooting this problem?

INFO: [COSIM 212-333] Generating C post check test bench ...
INFO: [COSIM 212-12] Generating RTL test bench ...
INFO: [COSIM 212-211] II is measurable only when transaction number is greater than 1 in RTL simulation. Otherwise, they will be marked as all NA. If user wants to calculate them, please make sure there are at least 2 transactions in RTL simulation.
    while executing
"source C:/Users/andrewsi/OneDrive/fpgaproducts/Vivado/mandelbrot/AXI/cosim.tcl"
    invoked from within
"hls::main C:/Users/andrewsi/OneDrive/fpgaproducts/Vivado/mandelbrot/AXI/cosim.tcl"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel 1 hls::main {*}$args"
    (procedure "hls_proc" line 5)
    invoked from within
"hls_proc $argv"
Finished C/RTL cosimulation.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Teacher xilinxacct
Teacher

Re: Cosim fails but no error message tells what's wrong...

@andrewsi

The '[COSIM 212-211]' message indicates the testbench only had one call to it.. is that correct?

If there is a second call, it would seem to be there.

Also, Does the testbench return a 0? If not, that would raise a false failure.

Hope that helps

If so, marks as solution accepted. Kudos also welcomed. :-)

0 Kudos
Observer andrewsi
Observer

Correct. There is no second call to the TestBench. I am still confused about where the problem is.

0 Kudos
Observer andrewsi
Observer

Oh yes, and the TestBench does return zero when it’s completed. 

0 Kudos
Teacher xilinxacct
Teacher

@andrewsi

Is there any code between the call and the end of the testbench? Or any code that is executed at program exit (e.g. destructors, etc).. If so, I would focus there, as I 'think' that since you see the the last WARNING, seem to indicate it made it passed that point.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
Observer andrewsi
Observer

There is some that prints outputs after the call has completed.  However, the sim did not run nearly long enough to have reached that point, the actual simulation of the IP never seems to have occurred before it fails out.

0 Kudos
Observer andrewsi
Observer

I think I have finally found a solution. Within the IP itself, there is both an AXI Slave interface for input registers and an AXI Master interface that is used to access an array for the IP's output data. When failing, there was a directive to to expose an offset parameter on the slave for use in writing to the output array, and to bundle that parameter in with the existing AXI slave interface.

As soon as I remove those options from the AXI Master directive, the cosimulation runs without the immediate failure that I described above.

Personally, I think this should be filed as a bug to the engineering team.

0 Kudos
Observer adefan
Observer

You are right. I am working on a test project. the original IO directive is

#pragma HLS INTERFACE s_axilite port=return bundle=CRTL_BUS
#pragma HLS INTERFACE m_axi depth=2073600 port=image_out offset=slave bundle=CTRL_BUS
#pragma HLS INTERFACE m_axi depth=2073600 port=image_in offset=slave bundle=CTRL_BUS

#pragma HLS DATAFLOW

It generates the same COSIM error.

after the directive change to

#pragma HLS INTERFACE s_axilite port=return bundle=CRTL_BUS
#pragma HLS INTERFACE m_axi depth=2073600 port=image_out offset=slave bundle=DATA_BUS
#pragma HLS INTERFACE m_axi depth=2073600 port=image_in offset=slave bundle=DATA_BUS
#pragma HLS DATAFLOW

THe COSIM passed.

set offset = off or direct also avoid COSIM fail.

But Don't know the consequnce of these directive changes on the Synthesis.

0 Kudos
Observer andrewsi
Observer

It shouldn’t have much effect on synthesis other than the starting address that the master interface accessed within the mapped memory region.

0 Kudos
Observer adefan
Observer

YES. Got the expected function. use the diffrent bundle name is the right solution.

0 Kudos