UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer dasidler
Observer

HLS INTERFACE axis naming broken

So i used to use the old directives to generate axi stream interface for my HLS code, for example:

void my_function(stream<ap_uint<16> > &inputXYZ)

{

#pragma HLS resource core=AXI4Stream variable=inputXYZ metadata="-bus_bundle s_axis_xyz"

}

The nice thing about this pragma is that i can use an axi style (s_axis_*) name for the external port, and in software a use sth like "inputXYZ", this also as you can imagine this results in the following port:

s_axis_xyz_tvalid

s_axis_xyz_tready

s_axis_xyz_tdata

Now since Vivado 2015.3 or so, this directive is officially deprecated, however i can not get the same result with the new native directive.

Now with the new directive, i have to do the following

void my_function(stream<ap_uint<16> > &s_axis_xyz)

{

#pragma HLS INTERFACE axis port=s_axis_xyz

}

First, i have to use the same name in software as gets generated for verilog, i can live with that.

Second, the generated output ports, include weird _V_V, and there is no way to get ride of it, see:

s_axis_xyz_V_V_TREADY

s_axis_xyz_V_V_TVALID

s_axis_xyz_V_V_TDATA

Not only is this completely ugly, but it also means that i have to rename all wires in RTL if i actually want to move from the old directive to the new one.

I only found a way for structs to fix this through the DATA_PACK directive, e.g.:
#pragma HLS DATA_PACK variable=s_axis_xyz instance=s_axis_xyz

Here i can specify explicitly the output name with "instance", i am wondering why this is not the default behavior?

For non-structs, as in my example ap_uint<16>, there is no way to specify the name of the external port when using INTERFACE axis.

How can this be fixed?

What is the reason for this weird behavior?

I tried Vivado 2015.3 and 2016.2.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Participant jehandad
Participant

Re: HLS INTERFACE axis naming broken

Hi,

This is a bug in Vivado and should not be the way it appears. Sadly I raised the same issue and was asked to file a service request. My account approval does not seem to allow that. This is a major pain for me since I am auto generating HLS code and then stitching it in verilog, as you can such a facility would be really convenient.

I am sure that there is some way to predict if there would be two '_V' or one ( I have not seem more than that ). But I dont know how.

Thanks

0 Kudos