UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Is it possible to have an IP running at 5MHz and the AXI at 250MHz?

Hello,

I am developing an IP which the best implementation I have is using a 5MHz clock (200ns), where it is able to perform all the operations with 0 latency (full-combinatorial). It needs 5 input variables and outputs 5 more, all of them 32-bit wide.

I want to control it using the PS but obviously, if I use an AXI Master with the clock running at 5MHz, the time it needs to transfer all the data is quite large (40 cycles of 200ns).

I was wondering if there is the possibility to have the AXI Master running at 250MHz and the IP at 5MHz.

Thanks.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: Is it possible to have an IP running at 5MHz and the AXI at 250MHz?

@cerilet you can make the axi-slave run at 250 MHz, collect all 5 words in registers, start the ip, wait till done (ie count to 50) and then write the resulting 5 words back to memory.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@muzaffer I think @cerilet is asking is it is possible to have separate clocks for the AXI light and the internal logic.
0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

@naz_rb it wasn't entirely clear to me whether @cerilet had an axi-lite interface or an m_axi. Based on master in this post, I assumed he had an m_axi.

In either case, it is certainly possible to have the axi protocol management and the IP run at different clocks. The easy solution is an axi interconnect which has the clock-domain crossing feature in it. The harder feature is to code some RTL running on faster side controlling/checking start/done signals to remove some unnecessary cycles. But my suggestion requires separating axi protocol management and the internals of the IP into separate blocks. I am not sure how HLS would handle such a case.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

The easiest approach for HLS is to pack the input/output data into a very wide bus (5*32-bit = 160-bit; although you might need to go to 256-bit. I've had issues with non-power-of-2 widths before). Then stick an AXI Interconnect between the HLS IP core and the RAM to do the conversion from a wide, slow bus to a thin, fast bus.

0 Kudos