UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Managing parallel HLS jobs on laptop ?

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I'm using VHLS on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on a laptop with 4 cores. Provided that I need to run 12 HLS jobs like HLS C sim and am thinking if it's possible to submit parallel HLS C sim jobs on my laptop. If I can use shell scripts or Python multiprocessing lib to submit parallel jobs, do you see any potential issues for the scenario? Or what other factors I don't take into account?  I'm happy and welcome to see you can share your comment or experience if you have.

For example, I'm not sure if it has gain to do this on my laptop which has only 4 CPU intel i7 cores.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Managing parallel HLS jobs on laptop ?

Jump to solution

You don't get additional advantage by additional paralleling on a PC beyond some point. With, say, four cores, you can (if the problem can be split) run four different tasks in parallel. If you set it to 8, what will probably happen is that each core will run half of the time one task, half of the time the other. Plus the overhead of task switching (although today is very optimized, it's there).

So, my advice.... forget.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @nanson ,

>>Provided that I need to run 12 HLS jobs like HLS C sim and am thinking if it's possible to submit parallel HLS C sim jobs on my laptop

I hope that you are querying for running 12 HLS C Simulation runs parallelly. If so, you need to invoke 12 Vivado HLS instances to do the same, which in turn may load up your machine.

If you are looking for the max threads that can be used for HLS then there is no way to change max threads for Vivado HLS.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@shameera  Thank you. 

How many parallel HLS C sim jobs can it run under Ubuntu as you know? Is there any limitation from VHLS's software ?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

You don't get additional advantage by additional paralleling on a PC beyond some point. With, say, four cores, you can (if the problem can be split) run four different tasks in parallel. If you set it to 8, what will probably happen is that each core will run half of the time one task, half of the time the other. Plus the overhead of task switching (although today is very optimized, it's there).

So, my advice.... forget.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @nanson,

I don't think Vivado HLS has any limitations running multiple HLS instances parallelly.

0 Kudos