UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Using an 2013.2 HLS ip with vivado and sdk 2013.3 versions

I have a issue with expf() function in the new version of HLS and as such I use the 2013.2 version of HLS to create a hardware IP and use it the new IDE and SDK versions.

My problem is that I cannot find a correct way to  import the ip driver made by HLS in SDK. The previous version just expected the drivers folder in an sdk_sw_repo folder. Now I see a different proccedure in the new documadation, having sdk repositories pointing in the IDE IP catalog repo folder.

Unfortunately the previous version of HLS (2013.2) does not add a drivers folder in the IDE IP repository folder. I tried to do it manually but it did not work.

Is there a way to make sdk 2013.3 to see drivers made for IPs in 2013.2 HLS?  If not could I evoke sdk 2013.2 from the 2013.3 IDE with the design I made there in the IDE?

Why is there no compatibility between the 2 versions?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Using an 2013.2 HLS ip with vivado and sdk 2013.3 versions

Bumping this one up again..Please is there noone that knows what is wrong with this function of importing the IP drivers in SDK.

0 Kudos

Have you exported the HLS Project as pcore and integrated the project in Vivado 2013.3?
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Yes. Exported it in the IP catalog not as a pcore since the design had vivado-only cores. I believe it is IP-XACT format. Made the full system in 2013.3 in the IP integrator.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

I have created a simple project and setting the driver repository to the drivers folder seems to help.

HLS_drivers.png

--HS

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks for the reply...

I have tried what you did it but i get not result. SDK still refuses to see the drivers for the IP. I really have no idea why this does not work...It might be a compatibility issue with the 2013.2 HLS or a naming issue that i missed. Anyway I am not going to waste any more time for now.

Thanks a million for the help...

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I would like to try again to help you adanathel..

Let's restart from the beginning.

1- VHLS will/should write a directory called "drivers" inside teh PROJ/SOL/impl directory.

"drivers" will contain the processor API to use your core - no matter if it's pcore or IP-XACT format.

Note: if there's no drivers then it means there's no processor accessible part / no memory mapped interface in your generated core.

-> can you confirm if you get the drivers directory or not?

2- if yes the other responses apply : setup SDK with the repository; this should point to the directory containing "drivers" ; ie either impl or any other pace you copied into. Next > rescan > close the repository dialog box. next > create from new or modify BSP; in any cases, make sure to select the driver - don't use "generic".

I hope you can move forward.

- Hervé

SIGNATURE:
* New Dedicated Vivado HLS forums* http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/High-Level-Synthesis-HLS/bd-p/hls
* Readme/Guidance* http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

* Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
* Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello Harve,

The drivers floder is there indeed. And this is what I tried to do in sdk to import them.

In 2013.2 this worked fine as long the drivers were in sdk_sw_repo  folder.

In the new version I get nothing however I tried it. And it is the same IP. By now I am sure it must just be a silly error in the project folder or project naming. Are there any characters in the folder or IP names that are allowed to be used and just sdk has a problem with?

Thanks for the reply!

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Okay.. so the sdk_sw_repo supposed to get deprecated for a long time now, maybe SDK finally made the switch and you need to use other repositories.
This puts us back to previous points / or check screenshot above.. the repository setting in SDK should point to the directory containing "drivers" ;
make sure to rescan repos and change the BSP settings.
changing the BSP is really important here as this will run the libgen process which will copy the repos' drivers inside the BSP so that you can use it.

if nothing works, in a last resort, just copy the driver files into the application project, this *should* work (but defeat the use of repository).
- Hervé

SIGNATURE:
* New Dedicated Vivado HLS forums* http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/High-Level-Synthesis-HLS/bd-p/hls
* Readme/Guidance* http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

* Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
* Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.