Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
celestials
Observer
Observer

Using array inputs and outputs on HLS with AXI interface

Hello all,

I want to generate a custom IP in Vivado HLS that in its top function includes arrays as inputs and outputs.

I have viewed the document ug902, and choos ap_hs as RTL interface and AXI4 Lite as Bus interface.

What is not clear to me is how the function is used in sdk correctly to get or set all the values the port expects. What should I do? Can you give me some example or any good suggestion?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my top function

void encrypt(unsigned char plaintext[16], unsigned char cryphttext[16]);

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you!

0 Kudos
19 Replies
debrajr

Refer chapter-10 of the tutorial: http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2013_4/ug871-vivado-high-level-synthesis-tutorial.pdf
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
celestials
Observer
Observer

Thanks for your reply. I have looked into ug871 and found that the example set parameters in this way

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XHls_macc_SetA(&HlsMacc, a);
XHls_macc_SetB(&HlsMacc, b);
XHls_macc_SetAccum_clr(&HlsMacc, 1);

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, the set function looks like void XHls_macc_SetA(XHls_macc *InstancePtr, u32 Data), both for the array and interger. (*InstancePtr is the instance, Data is the value to set) So how can I set the whole array into port?

Hope for your reply:)

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
debrajr

If you have any array in the function then by default it is implemented as ap_memory. If not then you can specify as ap_memory.
Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
celestials
Observer
Observer

Thanks for your reply. I'm a beginner for the ZYNQ board. It seems difficult for me to fix all the details. Can you show me some tutorials or just give me some example project. Then it may be easy for me to solve the problem. Now I have exported the IP from HLS using ap_memory interface.

=========================================================================

this is my top function: void encrypt(unsigned char plaintext[16]);

this is my directives settings: 

set_directive_resource -core RAM_1P "encrypt" plaintext
set_directive_resource -core AXI4LiteS -metadata "-bus_bundle encrypt_io" "encrypt" return

=========================================================================

So how to connext this block design in the Vivado and how to program in the SDK?

0 Kudos
debrajr

Did you have a look at 

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2014_1/ug871-vivado-high-level-synthesis-tutorial.pdf ?

Regards,
Debraj

0 Kudos
zaklah
Visitor
Visitor

Dear Degrads;

I followed the tutorial "Streaming data between the Zynq CPU and HLS Accelerator Blocks" in ug871, but I am receiving this error message during Synthesis: "5] XIT evaluation error: File writer encountered an error: ../Using_IP_with_Zynq/lab2/project_2/project_2.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ip/design_1_axis_subset_converter_0

_0/axis_subset_converter_v1_1/hdl/verilog/axis_subset_converter_v1_1_tdata_remap_design_1_axis_subset_converter_0_0.v"

Also, this warning message "

[BD 41-759] The input pins (listed below) are either not connected or do not have a source port, and they don't have a tie-off specified.
Please check your design and connect them if needed:
/RealFFT/xfft_0/s_axis_config_tdata
/RealFFT/xfft_0/s_axis_config_tvalid

"

Thanks,

Zach

0 Kudos
dahenk
Explorer
Explorer

"File writer encountered an error"

My guess is that your file path is too long. shorten the names of your folders or move the project up several levels.

0 Kudos
ywu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

That is very possible if you are running the tool on Windows, which has a 260 chars max for path names.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

@dahenk wrote:

"File writer encountered an error"

My guess is that your file path is too long. shorten the names of your folders or move the project up several levels.

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
ywu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The entire array will be memory mapped to AXI4 Lite slave interface as well. We generate drivers for the exported IP, which shows the memory offset for all registers including arrays. Below is an example. Note a memory port is mapped to a range of addresses at the bottom.

// BUS_A
// 0x0000 : Control signals
//          bit 0  - ap_start (Read/Write/COH)
//          bit 1  - ap_done (Read/COR)
//          bit 2  - ap_idle (Read)
//          bit 3  - ap_ready (Read)
//          bit 7  - auto_restart (Read/Write)
//          others - reserved
// 0x0004 : Global Interrupt Enable Register
//          bit 0  - Global Interrupt Enable (Read/Write)
// 0x0008 : IP Interrupt Enable Register (Read/Write)
//          bit 0  - Channel 0 (ap_done)
//          bit 1  - Channel 1 (ap_ready)
// 0x000c : IP Interrupt Status Register (Read/TOW)
//          bit 0  - Channel 0 (ap_done)
//          bit 1  - Channel 1 (ap_ready)
// 0x0010 : reserved
// 0x0014 : Data signal of b
//          bit 31~0 - b[31:0] (Read/Write)
// 0x0018 : reserved
// 0x001c : Data signal of c_i
//          bit 31~0 - c_i[31:0] (Read/Write)
// 0x0020 : reserved
// 0x0024 : Data signal of c_o
//          bit 31~0 - c_o[31:0] (Read)
// 0x0028 : reserved
// 0x002c : Data signal of flIn
//          bit 31~0 - flIn[31:0] (Read/Write)
// 0x0030 : reserved
// 0x0034 : Data signal of flOut_i
//          bit 31~0 - flOut_i[31:0] (Read/Write)
// 0x0038 : reserved
// 0x003c : Data signal of flOut_o
//          bit 31~0 - flOut_o[31:0] (Read)
// 0x0040 : Control signal of a
//          bit 0  - a_ap_vld (Read/Write/COH)
//          bit 1  - a_ap_ack (Read)
// 0x0044 : Data signal of a
//          bit 31~0 - a[31:0] (Read/Write)
// 0x1000 ~
// 0x1fff : Memory 'scale' (1024 * 32b)
//          Word n : bit [31:0] - scale[n]
// (SC = Self Clear, COR = Clear on Read, TOW = Toggle on Write, COH = Clear on Handshake)

@celestials wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I have looked into ug871 and found that the example set parameters in this way

XHls_macc_SetA(&HlsMacc, a);
XHls_macc_SetB(&HlsMacc, b);
XHls_macc_SetAccum_clr(&HlsMacc, 1);

However, the set function looks like void XHls_macc_SetA(XHls_macc *InstancePtr, u32 Data), both for the array and interger. (*InstancePtr is the instance, Data is the value to set) So how can I set the whole array into port?

Hope for your reply:)

Thanks! 

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
ribalda
Participant
Participant

Hello Jim

Sorry for the bit off topic, but how do you manage to map an array into the axi lite bus?

I have tried with no luck to use the interface directive, and all I get is a ap_memory.

Regards!

0 Kudos
herver
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The answer is to use something similar to this:

void mytop(..., mydatatype myarray[MYWIDTH], ...)

#pragma HLS RESOURCE variable=myarray core=RAM_1P_BRAM metadata="-bus_bundle BUS_CTRL"
#pragma HLS INTERFACE ap_memory port=myarray

Please note and make sure it is understood that because the array is passed at the top level, the array is and must be initialized from the outside of the IP; in practice this in the C TB or embedded processor C code.

This feature is not supported by the new so-called "native AXI interface" directives that have been introduced with Vivado HLS 2014.1/.2; this feature will be supported in a future release.

This means that at the moment, the other directives need to use the same style:

#pragma HLS RESOURCE variable=return core=AXI4LiteS metadata="-bus_bundle BUS_CTRL"

I have created Xilinx Answer Record 61567 with this same answer (pending editorial edits) and a tiny example that runs the flow from a script; the example is intended to be used to see it "by yourself". This AR should be available within a few days from this post, and the link should be http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/61567.htm

- Hervé

SIGNATURE:
* Vivado HLS forums* http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/High-Level-Synthesis-HLS/bd-p/hls
* Readme/Guidance* http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

* Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
* Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
franchesco

How do I get around the [BD 41-759] warning message? It won´t let me perform synthesis.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
franchesco

I was referring to this prior post over here:

@zaklah wrote:

Dear Degrads;

I followed the tutorial "Streaming data between the Zynq CPU and HLS Accelerator Blocks" in ug871, but I am receiving this error message during Synthesis: "5] XIT evaluation error: File writer encountered an error: ../Using_IP_with_Zynq/lab2/project_2/project_2.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ip/design_1_axis_subset_converter_0

_0/axis_subset_converter_v1_1/hdl/verilog/axis_subset_converter_v1_1_tdata_remap_design_1_axis_subset_converter_0_0.v"

Also, this warning message "

[BD 41-759] The input pins (listed below) are either not connected or do not have a source port, and they don't have a tie-off specified.
Please check your design and connect them if needed:
/RealFFT/xfft_0/s_axis_config_tdata
/RealFFT/xfft_0/s_axis_config_tvalid

"

Thanks,

Zach

0 Kudos
laursand
Contributor
Contributor

hi Herve,

We are faced with a similar situation and wanted to confirm something... (using HLS 2014.4):

Our top HLS function has the following parameters:

void top_function(int param1, int param2, const short paramtable[1600], AXI_STREAM &src, AXI_STREAM &dst)

We are bundling these params (including the table) into 1 axilite bus interface with something like.

#pragma HLS interface axis port=src
#pragma HLS interface axis port=dst
#pragma HLS interface s_axilite bundle=coreconfig port=param1
#pragma HLS interface s_axilite bundle=coreconfig port=param2
#pragma HLS interface s_axilite bundle=coreconfig port=paramtable
#pragma HLS interface s_axilite bundle=coreconfig port=return

When looking at the generated driver header file, we see param1 mapped at offset 0x0010, param2 at 0x0018 then the paramtable mapped at 0x1000 onwards.

This paramtable seems to be implemented inside the core (the core shows that the coreconfig axi bus has 6 BRAMs). Accessing from firmware, we can read/write the table fine.

However, when we run the Core, we get different results than cosimulation (we double-checked that we are writing the same values as the TB). We are starting to think this is due to the way the table is read (by the Core) into local arrays used for processing.

As per your previous post (http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/61567.htm), would it be better to implement a separate BRAM in Block Design and load it with the paramtable values? Or is the structure above handled by the HLS compiler? Specifically, it looks like the end of the table doesn't work right - maybe there is a maximum size for arrays passed as arguments?...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
herver
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @laursand

please start a new thread as that's a new topic...

what you are doing should work and i can't see anything worng with your directives.

you imply that the issues you see are in the fpga system, so i assume that you have a processor. my gut feeling is that you have cache issues because your processor and IP don't seem to match as to what they are seeing (or do you have endianness problems??).

again, please start a new thread 

- Hervé

SIGNATURE:
* Vivado HLS forums* http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/High-Level-Synthesis-HLS/bd-p/hls
* Readme/Guidance* http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

* Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
* Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
laursand
Contributor
Contributor

hi Herve,

I confirm what we have mentioned above actually works just fine.

The issue we had was with improper code (int/float type conversion) - somehow it simulated RTL correctly, but wasn't compiled the same in Vivado.

Thanks for your response though.. 

0 Kudos
shahid
Participant
Participant

Hello celestials,

Did you solved your problem? How to pass array to IP in SDK? I am facing same problem. Can you please help me.

waiting for your reply.

Thanks

0 Kudos
monia
Visitor
Visitor

hello Shahid,

Did you solved your problem?

0 Kudos
goldshakil
Observer
Observer

I am facing the issue currently and I can't seem to find the answer.
Please help me out.
I have already checked chapter 10 and it seems it deals with integers. However when I changed the variables to array types then there is no Get OR set function. Instead there is XXX_Read_XXX_Words and XXX_Write_XXX_Words

here is the definition:
u32 XDahab_Read_out_r_Words(XDahab *InstancePtr, int offset, int *data, int length);
u32 XDahab_Write_out_r_Bytes(XDahab *InstancePtr, int offset, char *data, int length);

can you guide me on how to use them?

Please help me out thank you so much!

0 Kudos