cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Vitis HLS cannot handle "struct" with AXIS interface synthesis

Vitis HLS seems cannot synthesis "struct-array" (with code line 5~8) as AXIS interface, even it's so simple. But the normal array can be correctly synthesized (with code line 3).

I see the "Vitis HLS Migration User Guide" has some topics for this, but the official workaround seems failed too.

Any suggestion?

Capture.PNG
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @Oxygen_Chu 

Please refer to UG1391 page28. Argument type of array of hls:: stream and the stream element has struct type, except ap_int/ ap_fixed are not supported.

struct ST {
int a;
ap_int<24> b;
};
void some_func(hls::stream<int> A[10], // OK. the stream element has scalar
type
hls::stream<ap_int<11> > B[10], // OK. the stream element has
ap_int type
hls::stream<ST> C[10] // Unsupported, the stream element has
struct type
) {
//internal storage is also unsupported
hls::stream<ST> internal_storage[10]
}

Thanks,
Wen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

yes, I see the this workaround, but why Vitis HLS makes this conceptually-simple-code so complex and user-unfriendly?

The ultimate goal of HLS technology is to make C/C++ routing changed as less as possible, and seamlessly "translate" the software-oriented language into hardware circuit if there is no conceptual conflict (malloc/free is a counter-example).

I think the software-oriented "struct-array" has no conceptual conflict with hardware circuit, since the syntax "struct" is fundamentally a "group" of elements. The elements can be handled individually and/or as-a-whole.

I tried "#pragma HLS DISAGGREGATE" to ungroup the "struct" structure into individual elements(array), and use AXIS interface synthesis for each elements(array), it failed. I tried "#pragma HLS AGGREGATE" to group the "struct" structure as a whole, and use AXIS interface synthesis for this, it failed too. So I cannot understand why this.

Is it possible to improve the AXIS interface synthesis for "struct-array" in later version?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

BTW, I cannot find UG1391 page28, since UG1391(2020.1) only has 23 pages in total.
:- (
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @Oxygen_Chu ,

Argument type of array of hls:: stream and the stream element has struct type is not supported. Have you ever tried the pointer instead of arrays? But if there is a random access, the struct types array would not be supported. You can go back to Vivado HLS for development.

hls::stream<axiWord> &inData

I found the code above on Ug1391 v2019.2 page28. But it cannot be found anymore.  Are you using 2020.1 version of Vitis HLS?

Wen

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Yes, I use the Vitis HLS for Versal.

The access is sequential as shown in figure attached.

So it doesn't make sense, what do you think?

0 Kudos