UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor laomar
Visitor

Bitstream generation not allowed for OOC modules

hello,

im trying to generate bitstream to get ebc file that allow me to identify the adress of LUT.

im using artix7 with vivado 2019 version.

in my code implementation and synthesis are correct.

but i cannot generate the bitstream , how can i do that without using io buffer because in my synthesis i have to use the option -mode out_of_context

thanks,

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Bitstream generation not allowed for OOC modules

the error message is you can not create a bit stream for a OOC module
this is logical as bitstream has pins identified and a OOC module on its own is agnostic of pins,

what do you mean by address of LUT ?

can I ask what are you trying to do ?
make some IP that you can export ?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Visitor laomar
Visitor

LUT(LOOK UP TABLE) im trying to identify the adress of lut in artix 7 so i need to generate the ebc file.
what kind of ip i can make?

you will find attached the vhdl code and the xdc file.

thanks

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

what do you mean by " trying to identify the address of lut"

Yes Look Up Table, but a LUT has no address .

in an OOC, the block is not even placed and routed, so the LUTs doesn't even have a location in the FPGA,

what do you mean by this address ?

BTW: Quick look at your code,

can you try using tabs to format the code

Im guessing your learning, dont use  ieee.std_logic_arith.all;

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Visitor laomar
Visitor

sorry but we have adresses for LUT in FPGA.

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

In that case, I'm very happy for you.

good luck.
0 Kudos
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

"Out Of Context" is a rather unfortunate name in that it really doesn't define well both what you as the designer are expecting, and what that tools are actually generating.

In all defintions, "OOC" means a partially implemented FPGA design.  Only parts of the full FPGA bit-stream generation process are done.

For me, "OOC" means stop after synthesis.  Meaning just generate a synthesized, and mapped netlist of the block in question, ready to be integrated into the rest of the design.

For others, "OOC" may mean doing placement, and perhaps routing of the block in question.  However, as I understand things, Xilinx is deprecating these OOC flows.

As far as I'm aware "OOC" never included actual bit-stream generation of a partial design.

As to your desire for the "address for LUT", are you looking for the Placement SITE of the LUT?

Regards,

Mark

Visitor laomar
Visitor

hello,

yes thats what im looking for exactly.

i divide all my design to many regions that i can identify each lut as you know in artix 7 we have 134600LUTS i succed to identify 133788luts.

i have problem when i use io pin that i can not place my dessign in the implementation. i tried severel time but no way.(you will find attached the previous error )

so when i used the option(-mode out_of_context) i succed to place my design but the problem was in bitstream generation.

thanks

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

0 Kudos
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

I'm not clear why you're using OOC in order to solve your placement problems.  The Placement problems seem to indicate you're trying to put too many logic cells inside the floorplanning region you've defined.  (3601 slices requested, 3600 slices available).  I'd focus on the original problem rather than the derived OOC problem.  Ditch the OOC flows - it's only confusing the picture.

Just curious - are you sure this level of detailed floorplanning is required?  The tools work much better with less floorplanning constraints applied.  Are you trying to reach some very high internal clock speeds?  (Like > 500 MHz?)

I've no knowledge regarding your specific design - yours may require such a flow. My experiences show that floorplanning is the rare exception (< 1% of my FPGAs) rather than the rule.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Visitor laomar
Visitor

i didn't understand i haven't a big experience with vivado.
so can u please explain to me what i have to add
0 Kudos
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

If you don't have a lot of experience with Vivado, then I strongly suggest REMOVING all pblock (floorplanning) constraints.  Just apply timing constraints (and top-level pin LOCs), and let the tool work at meeting timing.

Regards,

Mark

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @laomar ,

Please update on the issue? Is it resolved?

Do you have further queries on this? If not, can you please mark the response that resolved your issue, as Accepted Solution.

Thanks,

Raj

0 Kudos