UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

DRC REQP-1853 Cascaded clock buffers with constant CE?

Jump to solution

I see this DRC warning and wanted to understand the correct usage of the BUFGCE_DIV module.

My usage is to create a simple divide by 2 clock because I have some IP that doesn't run at our full clock rate.  I don't have access to the centralized clock generation as it comes from external design block I am not allowed to alter.

So my solution was just instantiate a BUFGCE_DIV in my module.  Now I see this warning that indicates "may result in large clock skew and timing violations." I am trying to understand the conditions in which it may not be a timing issue.  Can someone suggest the proper usage of this BUFGCE_DIV module?

TomT...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: DRC REQP-1853 Cascaded clock buffers with constant CE?

Jump to solution

@tessitd

The BUFGCE_DIV is found in UltraScale FPGAs. As stated in UG949 (on about page 81), BUFGCE_DIV is often used as a replacement for the BUFR found in 7-series FPGAs. By this, I think UG949 means that the BUFGCE_DIV and the BUFR can both be used to divide-down clocks.

As you can imagine, these divide-down buffers have a built-in counter. Ideally, when you power-up the FPGA, the main Clock Management Tile (eg. MMCM) starts outputting clocks and the built-in counter inside the BUFGCE_DIV starts at zero. In this way, clocks coming out of the MMCM and the clock coming out of the BUFGCE_DIV start up with a known phase relationship, which is necessary if timing analysis is to consider all the clocks to be synchronous.

However, if you start/stop the BUFGCE_DIV output using the CE pin then the phase of the clock coming out of the BUFGCE_DIV is no longer known with respect to the other clocks in your design (because the built-in counter of the BUFGCE_DIV gets messed up). This means that the BUFGCE_DIV output clock (call it CLK_BD) is now mesochronous with other clocks in your design. Thus, you need a clock crossing circuit to prevent metastability when moving data in/out of the CLK_BD clock-domain from/to other clock-domains.

Apparently, there are procedures for resetting things so that CLK_BD is again synchronous (and not mesochronous) with other clocks in the design - as when the FPGA was powered-up. However, I have not found a good explanation of these procedures. The best I’ve found is in UG472 (v1.14) immediately below Fig. 2-25. You’ll also find this discussed by Avrum in <this> post.

Anyway, I suspect that REQP-1853 may be warning you to treat the BUFGCE_DIV output clock as a mesochronous (or an asynchronous) – and to use a clock crossing circuit.

Cheers,
Mark

Tags (2)
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @tessitd. The skew can come about if there is a cross domain crossing where the destination clock is different from the source clock. In that case if the source clock has the two BUFGCE_DIVs in the path, but the destination only has one or zero, there will be clock skew delay found in the timing report.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@tessitd

The BUFGCE_DIV is found in UltraScale FPGAs. As stated in UG949 (on about page 81), BUFGCE_DIV is often used as a replacement for the BUFR found in 7-series FPGAs. By this, I think UG949 means that the BUFGCE_DIV and the BUFR can both be used to divide-down clocks.

As you can imagine, these divide-down buffers have a built-in counter. Ideally, when you power-up the FPGA, the main Clock Management Tile (eg. MMCM) starts outputting clocks and the built-in counter inside the BUFGCE_DIV starts at zero. In this way, clocks coming out of the MMCM and the clock coming out of the BUFGCE_DIV start up with a known phase relationship, which is necessary if timing analysis is to consider all the clocks to be synchronous.

However, if you start/stop the BUFGCE_DIV output using the CE pin then the phase of the clock coming out of the BUFGCE_DIV is no longer known with respect to the other clocks in your design (because the built-in counter of the BUFGCE_DIV gets messed up). This means that the BUFGCE_DIV output clock (call it CLK_BD) is now mesochronous with other clocks in your design. Thus, you need a clock crossing circuit to prevent metastability when moving data in/out of the CLK_BD clock-domain from/to other clock-domains.

Apparently, there are procedures for resetting things so that CLK_BD is again synchronous (and not mesochronous) with other clocks in the design - as when the FPGA was powered-up. However, I have not found a good explanation of these procedures. The best I’ve found is in UG472 (v1.14) immediately below Fig. 2-25. You’ll also find this discussed by Avrum in <this> post.

Anyway, I suspect that REQP-1853 may be warning you to treat the BUFGCE_DIV output clock as a mesochronous (or an asynchronous) – and to use a clock crossing circuit.

Cheers,
Mark

Tags (2)