UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor qianse
Visitor

Encryption feature of ISE

Jump to solution

Hello, I would like to add the Encryption feature while generating the programming file using ISE. But I couldn't find this option with my ISE version 9.2. Can someone please tell me which version of ISE support this feature? Thanks.

Jason

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor qianse
Visitor

Re: Encryption feature of ISE

Jump to solution

Hi Bt,

Thanks for the hint. After I swiched the target device from Spartan 3E to Virtex4, I can see the encryption option. Thanks!

Jason

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

From memory (I don't have it in front of me at the moment), 9.2i should support encrypted bitstream generation.

What is your target device (V2, V2P, V4 or V5)?

bt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor qianse
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi Bt,

Thanks for the hint. After I swiched the target device from Spartan 3E to Virtex4, I can see the encryption option. Thanks!

Jason

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

That makes sense...

Spartan devices didn't support bitstream decryption until Spartan-6 - and then only on the devices 6SLX75(T) and above.

http://www.xilinx.com/products/design_resources/security/ (Design Security Solutions)

bt

0 Kudos
Visitor qianse
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi Bt,

Thanks for the confirmation. Can I check with you that after the programming file is decrypted inside the FPGA of virtex4, is there anyway to shift out the data stream (bit file)? I'm not too worried if someone try to tamper with the program flash since the mcs file inside would be encrypted, but I'm wondering if one can try to tamper with the decrypted bit file. Thanks.

Regards,

Jason

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

It is not possible to do an FPGA readback via JTAG once you've loaded an encrypted bitstream...

From V4's Config Guide (ug071.pdf)

/*

Preparing a Design for Readback
There are two mandatory bitstream settings for readback: the BitGen security setting must
not prohibit readback (-g security:none), and bitstream encryption must not be used.

*/

That is probably sufficient for most applications. There are other considerations for more sensitive applications...

http://www.xilinx.com/esp/aero_def/crypto.htm

http://www.xilinx.com/prs_rls/2007/end_markets/0713_v4nsa.htm

:

bt

0 Kudos
Visitor qianse
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi Bt,

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your kind help and quick reply!

Regards,

Jason

0 Kudos