UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer yangf3
Observer

Error: Design cannot be automatically placed

Jump to solution

I received a working design in schematics, and I translated it into verilog behavior models. The original design was implemented sucessfully. I used the same .ucf file but got an error with the new design.

ERROR:Place:207 - Due to SelectIO banking constraints, the IOBs in your design cannot be automatically placed.

346 signals are not completely routed.

WARNING:Par:100 - Design is not completely routed.

I used FPGA Editor to see all the unrouted nets. Many of them with names N# are not defined by me. I dont't know what they are, and there are too many nets to be routed manually. How can I solve this problem?

My ISE version is 8.1.03i. The target device is Spartan3 XC3S50. Thanks.

Message Edited by yangf3 on 02-04-2009 06:18 AM
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: Error: Design cannot be automatically placed

Jump to solution

yangf3 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. But I only used LVCMOS33, not a single LVCOMS25. The exactly same .ucf file works with the old design. Any other possible reasons? Thanks.

Are there any ports in the design that are NOT in the UCF?

I/Os default to LVCMOS25 unless otherwise changed in the UCF or in your code.

Do you have an differential pairs? There are a bunch of rules about diff pair placement.

-a

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

yangf3 wrote:

I received a working design in schematics, and I translated it into verilog behavior models. The original design was implemented sucessfully. I used the same .ucf file but got an error with the new design.

ERROR:Place:207 - Due to SelectIO banking constraints, the IOBs in your design cannot be automatically placed.

346 signals are not completely routed.

WARNING:Par:100 - Design is not completely routed.

I used FPGA Editor to see all the unrouted nets. Many of them with names N# are not defined by me. I dont't know what they are, and there are too many nets to be routed manually. How can I solve this problem?

My ISE version is 8.1.03i. The target device is Spartan3 XC3S50. Thanks.

Message Edited by yangf3 on 02-04-2009 06:18 AM

Forget the N# nets. Those are intermediates created by the synthesizer.

The real problem is explicitly stated in the error message. You probably have conflicting bank power-supply rails. Mixing ports with IOTYPE = LVCMOS33 and LVCMOS25 in the same bank will throw this error.

-a

0 Kudos
Observer yangf3
Observer

Jump to solution
Thanks for your reply. But I only used LVCMOS33, not a single LVCOMS25. The exactly same .ucf file works with the old design. Any other possible reasons? Thanks.
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

yangf3 wrote:

Are there any ports in the design that are NOT in the UCF?

I/Os default to LVCMOS25 unless otherwise changed in the UCF or in your code.

Do you have an differential pairs? There are a bunch of rules about diff pair placement.

-a

0 Kudos