UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer bjackson_ost
Observer

Generate bitstream

I'm using Vivado 2017.3.1. I routed a design that failed timing. I still want to generate a bitstream in spite of the timing failures. (By the way, the timing failures are very, very small and I'm certain the design when I download it to my FPGA eval board.) When I generate the bitstream, it fails. How do I instruct Vivado to ignore the timing failures and generate the bitstream?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Generate bitstream

What errors are you seeing during bitstream generation?

Vivado doesn't generally error just because the design failed to meet timing.

The only license issue or DRC should cause it to fail to generate a bitstream.

0 Kudos

I am also using Vivado Webpack v2017.3.1.   In project mode, I find that it generates the bitstream when timing analysis fails.

If you are using Tcl commands to generate the bitstream then try the following:

write_bitstream -force <filename> 

Without the -force option, Vivado will not overwrite an existing bit-file and will instead throw an error.

Mark

0 Kudos
Observer bjackson_ost
Observer

@necare81

The errors are timing failures.

0 Kudos
Observer bjackson_ost
Observer

markg@prosensing.com

I'm using the GUI. I guess I'll try looking through Settings (under the Bitstream option) to see where I could issue the -force option.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@bjackson_ost what is the specific error seen during bitstream generation?  Without specific messages no one is going to be able to help.  You probably need to look at all the warning/errors in the messages tab of the GUI to start with, it should have very specific reasons for not generating a bitstream but sometimes the GUI message extraction doesn't work properly and you need to go check the actual text logs.

Not meeting timing does not prevent bitstream generation.  If you do run "implementation to step generate bitstream" it might stop for a timing failure after implementation but you can just run the generate bitstream step again without running through all of implementation(assuming you haven't change other stuff that would put the design out of date).

0 Kudos
Observer bjackson_ost
Observer

@necare81

I've since resolved my timing issues and am able to successfully generate a bitstream. Suffice to say, the timing issues were coming the DDR controller I generated using the Xilinx MIG tool.

0 Kudos