cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

How to get preliminary resource estimation/utilization of a submodule before completing the full design?

Jump to solution

I'm at a very preliminary stage of my design, in which i need to assess whether the algorithm i'd like to implement on FPGA can actually fit into the FPGA I have available. Is there a quick way to get the resource utilization report of my custom VHDL code, without inferring the complete design (which would need to include IO ports, interfaces, etc...and is not yet implemented)? I just want to get an estimation of my submodule containing the core algorithm, which at the end will use most of the resources of the FPGA.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Voyager
Voyager

@alefer85 

synth_design -mode out_of_context

== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Well set the submodule as top and compile.

== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

@calibra Most of the time in this way you get an error, since Vivado tries to map the ports of my submodule to the FPGA IO pins, which are normally not enough. Is there a way to avoid this, so that Vivado doesn't consider the submodule as a top level module? i just want to know the resource utilization (DSP slices, LUTs, BRAMs) without considering the IO pins.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@alefer85 

For that., you can run report_utilization -hierarchical tcl command in tcl console after synthesis gets completed. (which will be independent of IO pins and its constraints.)

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

@alefer85 

synth_design -mode out_of_context

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

@calibra Bingo! that worked. Thank you.

0 Kudos