UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant herand
Participant

How to open an incomplete implementation run?

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I have a Partial Reconfiguration project, the structure is one parent synthesis run and one parent implementation run.

The latter has a child implementation run, which fails due to some routing congestion in the route_design step and I have no idea why. it would be very advantegous to open the already placed design and check the specific placement which creates that congestion.

However, when right-clicking the run, I can not select the "Open run" (which is the same behavior for the parent implementation).

Therefore my question: Is there a possiblity to check on intermediate results of the implementation?

I somehow expect one of the answers could be to open the design myself, apply the constraints and execute the implementation by calling the corresponding tcl commands myself, but that way feels not so intuitive...

Thanks for any help in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Participant herand
Participant

Re: How to open an incomplete implementation run?

Jump to solution

Hi @thakurr,

thank you for your answer. However what you described is the way I already did (possible from the right-click menu), but apart from the logs I could gain no further insight. I was interested in the implemented design up to that point, e.g. to check the specific placement after place_design, but before route_design.

For a parent implementation run, I can do that by opening the synthesized design but with the implementation constraint set applied. However, this doesn't work for child implementation runs having their own constraint set, which is the proposed methodology for partial reconfiguration according to UG909.

However, I was too quick to write here as a .dcp checkpoint file was created exactly at the point of failure (I forgot to note the specific log-file entry), which I then could investigate with the tcl command open_checkpoint.

Another way which came into my mind after posting would be to hook a tcl script before route_design (set_property STEPS.ROUTE_DESIGN.TCL.PRE), which writes a checkpoint file with the tcl command write_checkpoint

Sorry for the premature post and thanks for the help.

Kind regards

2 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @herand

Therefore my question: Is there a possiblity to check on intermediate results of the implementation?

You can launch the run through the specific step in the implementation process, and then stop. You can check the intermediate reports and logs by right clicking on that particular run. This way you can check all the reports related to control sets, qor, timings at the intermediate stages without waiting for the impl to complete till route_design.

Suppose you wish to run the impl process till place_design, then you can run the below command.

launch_runs -to_step place_design impl_x (do reset_runs before the command if run is already completed).

Refer below link, page 968 for more info:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_4/ug835-vivado-tcl-commands.pdf

Regards

Rohit

Regards
Rohit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Participant herand
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @thakurr,

thank you for your answer. However what you described is the way I already did (possible from the right-click menu), but apart from the logs I could gain no further insight. I was interested in the implemented design up to that point, e.g. to check the specific placement after place_design, but before route_design.

For a parent implementation run, I can do that by opening the synthesized design but with the implementation constraint set applied. However, this doesn't work for child implementation runs having their own constraint set, which is the proposed methodology for partial reconfiguration according to UG909.

However, I was too quick to write here as a .dcp checkpoint file was created exactly at the point of failure (I forgot to note the specific log-file entry), which I then could investigate with the tcl command open_checkpoint.

Another way which came into my mind after posting would be to hook a tcl script before route_design (set_property STEPS.ROUTE_DESIGN.TCL.PRE), which writes a checkpoint file with the tcl command write_checkpoint

Sorry for the premature post and thanks for the help.

Kind regards