cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Placer failed with error: need spiral search for more than 5% of movable instances

Jump to solution

Hello everybody!

I have a complex design on a Kintex-7 FPGA and I'm using Vivado 2018.1.

I have made some changes in my design recently and now my design fails in place step! The errors is below:

[Place 46-13] The placer could not place more than 5 percent of the moveable instances in the design. This could be due to tight pblock constraints or other physical constraints. Please analyze your design to see if more placement flexibility can be provided to the tools (ie. Make pblock sizes larger). The first 20 instances that could not be placed are listed below.

Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_4_i_15" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_4_i_23" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_4_i_71" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_4_i_28" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_4_i_53" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_4_i_58" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_4_i_21" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_4_i_46" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_4_i_43" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_4_i_7" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_4_i_2" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_4_i_33" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_4_i_27" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_4_i_17" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_4_i_18" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "st2022_56_rx_wrapper_i/v_smpte2022_56_rx_i/i_VoIP_RX/gen_rx_fec_engine.i_rx_fec_engine/bitmap_mgr_i/bitmap_handler_i/bitmap_updater_i/xlnx_opt_LUT_xlnx_opt_LUT_wr_pkt_exist_i_1_18_7" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/xlnx_opt_LUT_xlnx_opt_LUT_do_fec_i_1_2_1" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_3_i_73" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_4_i_51" (LUT6) could not be placed
Instance "system_basic_i/system_basic_i/hier_udpip/TX_FEC/v_voip_fec_tx_1/U0/i_VoIP_TX/i_tx_fec_top/i_tx_fec_col/i_traffic_shaping/fecbitmap_bram_i/ram_reg_0_i_2" (LUT6) could not be placed

[Place 30-99] Placer failed with error: 'Need spiral search for more than 5% of movable instances!'
Please review all ERROR, CRITICAL WARNING, and WARNING messages during placement to understand the cause for failure.

I do not understand why the placer can't place the design. There;s no related warnings or critical warnings and it used to work before my new changes.

I also have attached my log file.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Regards,

Herman

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the answer.
I do not have any PBLOCKs. The problem was because of resource utilization more than what is available on device. But the error did not say this. I checked post-synthesis utilization report, and I understood the device is ran out of LUTs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @hermanfisher1994 ,

As per the error message, does your design contains PBLOCK?

If yes, then you need to check which PBLOCK those LUT6 location are complaining for.

Resize them such that it covers all the resource need to utilize or add add cells to pblock, to know more on how to add cells, check page no.288 of below link:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug912-vivado-properties.pdf 

Thanks,

Raj

Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the answer.
I do not have any PBLOCKs. The problem was because of resource utilization more than what is available on device. But the error did not say this. I checked post-synthesis utilization report, and I understood the device is ran out of LUTs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos