UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer amitrasudan
Observer

Unable to run implementation in OOC mode through Vivado GUI

Jump to solution

Hi,

While running implementation through batch mode or commands, my tcl script is doing the following:

################################################
###     SET DESIGN VARIABLES      ###
#################################################
set DesignName          "phif_top"
set PartName            "XC7V2000TFHG1761-2"
link_design -name ${DesignName} -part ${PartName} -mode out_of_context

# optimize netlist
   opt_design
   #Place Design
   place_design
   # rebuffer high fanout nets
   phys_opt_design
   write_checkpoint -force $outputDir/post_place
   report_clock_utilization -file $outputDir/post_place_clock_util.rpt
   report_utilization -file $outputDir/post_place_util.rpt

#  run router, report actual utilization and timing, write checkpoint design, run drc, write verilog and xdc out
   route_design
   write_checkpoint -force $outputDir/post_route
   report_timing_summary -file $outputDir/post_route_timing_summary.rpt
   report_timing -sort_by group -max_paths 100 -path_type summary -file $outputDir/post_route_timing.rpt
   report_utilization -file $outputDir/post_route_util.rpt
   report_power -file $outputDir/post_route_power.rpt
   report_drc -file $outputDir/post_imp_drc.rpt
   write_verilog -force $outputDir/bft_impl_netlist.v
   write_xdc -no_fixed_only -force $outputDir/bft_impl.xdc

################################################################

While running this script in batch mode, implementation completes successfully for the design.

But if I open a project in Vivado GUI, include the .edf and .xdc files as source files to the project and run a tcl script with only these below lines so that the design is OOC, then run implementation in GUI, then I am facing many errors :

################################################
###     SET DESIGN VARIABLES      ###
#################################################
set DesignName          "phif_top"
set PartName            "XC7V2000TFHG1761-2"
link_design -name ${DesignName} -part ${PartName} -mode out_of_context

The errors are for example:

[Place 30-415] IO Placement failed due to overutilization. This design contains 1336 I/O ports
 while the target  device: 7v2000t package: fhg1761, contains only 850 available user I/O. The target device has 850 usable I/O pins of which 0 are already occupied by user-locked I/Os.
 To rectify this issue:
 1. Ensure you are targeting the correct device and package.  Select a larger device or different package if necessary.
 2. Check the top-level ports of the design to ensure the correct number of ports are specified.
 3. Consider design changes to reduce the number of I/Os necessary.

Place [30-68] Instance IBUF_184 (IBUF) is not placed.

Please let me know where I am wrong, why I am unable to do implementation in OOC mode in Vivado GUI. Appreciate your help.

Thanks and regards,

Amitra

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Unable to run implementation in OOC mode through Vivado GUI

Jump to solution

Hi Amitra,

The official flow is to add the netlist as Out-of-context DCP file to the project.

So run synthesis using -mode out_of_context, and then either setup the implementation runs in same project as synthesis, or add this DCP to a netlist project.

If you are using 3rd party synthesis you will first need to create an OOC checkpoint:

• read_edif
  • link_design -mode out_of_context
  • write_checkpoint

Best regards,

Dries

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if the information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented by clicking the star next to the post.
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Did you create post synthesis project in vivado (for GUI mode)? If not try creating a post synthesis project as the top level is EDIF file.

In synthesis settings write -mode out_of _context in the more options field and run synthesis followed by Implementation.

Capture.PNG

There is no need of running link_design seperately from TCL when using GUI.

Check if the above works.

Regards,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Observer amitrasudan
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Deepika,

I have created the project as Post Synthesis project. The problem is as you showed in your snapshot, I am not seeing any settings for Synthesis where I can give the option "-mode out_of_context". Is it because synthesis is already performed and edf is already generated? I am not sure.

In my Project Settings I can see all the buttons on the left panel except "Synthesis" and "IP".

Thanks and regards,

Amitra

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Amitra,

The official flow is to add the netlist as Out-of-context DCP file to the project.

So run synthesis using -mode out_of_context, and then either setup the implementation runs in same project as synthesis, or add this DCP to a netlist project.

If you are using 3rd party synthesis you will first need to create an OOC checkpoint:

• read_edif
  • link_design -mode out_of_context
  • write_checkpoint

Best regards,

Dries

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if the information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented by clicking the star next to the post.
Observer amitrasudan
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Dries,

Since I am using a third party generated edf netlist therefore, your solution worked. Previously, I was not reading the edf file and creating write checkpoints. After including them in the script along with link_design command and running implementation, I could complete the implementation without errors.

Thank you.

Regards,

Amitra

0 Kudos