UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

VHDL configuration late bind to CoreGen IP

Hi all,

using Planahead 14.6 on Windows x64.

Does anyone know if it's possible to implement late binding of CoreGen entities using a configuration?

Why? - say I have a component used in more than one project, and within that component is a filter. A configuration for one project might bind that filter component to a filter generated using CoreGen, and the second project might bind to a second filter generated by coregen. The generated IP filters might be used across projects, so are kept in a project neutral area and hence are generated in the wizard with different names - hence the late binding.

Example:

----------------------------------------------

-- Instantiated in main hierarchy as "filter_block":

entity my_filter is

end entity;

architecture structure of my_filter is

component a_filter

end component;

begin

the_filter: a_filter

port map(

);

-- more logic

end architecture structure;

---------------------------------------------

-- Project configuration

use work.all

configuration config1 of my_filter is

for structure

for the_filter: a_filter

use entity work.my_coregen_CIC_filter1(my_coregen_CIC_filter1_a);

end for;

end for;

end config1;

My Planahead project does see the filter core in my custom location (where the .xci file lives) and I can launch the wizard and change filter settings. The .ngc file has also been generated. 

Synthesis Completes.

Implementation fails with

"Could not resolve non-primative black box cell 'a_filter' instatiated in module "top/filter_block"

It's looking for EDIF or NGC files with the name of the component, not the entity name the configuration says to 'plug into' the socket. I even added the path explicitly to where the ngc file of 'my_coregen_CIC_filter' is using the NGDBuild option '-sd' (although I feel the compiler should know about this as it is one of the IP core paths in the project).

I also notice the configuration file only has the 'Used In' options of 'Synthesis' and 'Simulation'.

If the generated NGC file has to have the same name as the component instance in my design, then what is the point of being able to late bind to different entities?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: VHDL configuration late bind to CoreGen IP

So I found reference to this issue in this thread.

It basically says that external configurations are not supported. Can someone say if this is now supported in Vivado? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: VHDL configuration late bind to CoreGen IP

Is it possible to share the files? If yes, Please send to my email address

0 Kudos