UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor pstobbe
Visitor

Vivado warning: [Constraints 18-5210] No constraints selected for write.

To get used to using vivado for programming my cora z7-10, I wrote a simple program in VHDL. Everything works as it should, but I get the warning: "[Constraints 18-5210] No constraints selected for write." after the sythesis stage. I'm unable to find information on the warning (of a level I can understand, as I'm quite new to using FPGA's).

I do get a possible solution suggested by Vivado:

Resolution: This message can indicate that there are no constraints for the design, or it can indicate that the used_in flags are set such that the constraints are ignored. This later case is used when running synth_design to not write synthesis constraints to the resulting checkpoint. Instead, project constraints are read when the synthesized design is opened.

I have set the constraints I need and they don't seem to cause problems and I don't know how I could implement what is said in the second sentence.

I'm not sure if the warning could cause unexpected behaviour. Any information or help would be greatly appriciated.

thank you in advance!

these lines are in my xdc file:

## PL System Clock
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN H16   IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { clk }]; #IO_L13P_T2_MRCC_35 Sch=sysclk
create_clock -add -name sys_clk_pin -period 50.000 -waveform {00.000 25.000} [get_ports { clk }];#set

## RGB LEDs
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN L15   IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { blue }]; #IO_L22N_T3_AD7N_35 Sch=led0_b
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN G17   IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { green }]; #IO_L16P_T2_35 Sch=led0_g
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN N15   IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { red }]; #IO_L21P_T3_DQS_AD14P_35 Sch=led0_r
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN M15   IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { debug }]; #IO_L23N_T3_35 Sch=led1_r

## Buttons
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN D20   IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { button }]; #IO_L4N_T0_35 Sch=btn[0]
0 Kudos
34 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado warning: [Constraints 18-5210] No constraints selected for write.

Hi @pstobbe.

If you right-click on the constraints file, you should be able to select it as a "target". The following post might help.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/Remove-the-quot-target-quot-tag-from-xdc/td-p/927617

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visitor pstobbe
Visitor

I've read the thread you linked. I get the same warning, but I have only one xdc file so I just set my one file as the target, but unfortunately I still get the same warning.

I've also tried creating a new project like suggested in the thread, but I still get the warning. 

0 Kudos
Observer blindobs
Observer

Hi,

I get the same error with simple project. Also adding *.xdc and setting it as target file doesn't solve the problem.

If you encounter any solution please post :)

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @pstobbe.

Can the project be uploaded for review?

0 Kudos
Visitor pstobbe
Visitor

Sure thing,

All my projects have the same error, so think it won't matter which one I send. But in the interest of time I've uploaded my smallest project.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @pstobbe.

Did you happen to use the File -> Project -> Archive method of creating the zip file? This is missing the XDC in question. From the log, it appears to be outside of the project directory.

0 Kudos
Visitor pstobbe
Visitor

Sorry for the slow response,

I've moved the XDC file to the foulder with the other sourcefiles (blink.srcs -> sources_1 -> new)

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

This is not the correct location (nor the correct mechanism) for constraint files.

Constraints should be added to the project "properly". There are many ways of doing this:

• Project Manager -> Add Sources -> Add or create constraints
  • Right clicking on the Source window on the "Constraints" line and doing "Add Source"
  • use the "add_files" Tcl command

All of these (and some other) methods will add the constraint file to your project. The physical location of the constraint file can be left "outside" your project or can be copied in. If it is copied in, it will not go in sources_1, but in constrs_1/{imports or new}

But, in general, you should never be directly manipulating files under the <project> directory - these are all managed by the project manager and should only be modified through the Vivado tool.

Avrum

0 Kudos
Observer blindobs
Observer

Hi,

I added simple script that crates very simple project, make xdc file and recreates constraints problem.

I use this lines to create and add properly xdc to project, but warning still occures....

# create and add xdc file to project
file mkdir $script_path/$project_name/$project_name\.srcs/constrs_1
file mkdir  $script_path/$project_name/$project_name\.srcs/constrs_1/new
close [ open  $script_path/$project_name/$project_name\.srcs/constrs_1/new/main.xdc w ]
add_files -fileset constrs_1  $script_path/$project_name/$project_name\.srcs/constrs_1/new/main.xdc
set_property target_constrs_file  $script_path/$project_name/$project_name\.srcs/constrs_1/new/main.xdc [current_fileset -constrset]

0 Kudos
Visitor pstobbe
Visitor

To avrumw,

That is exactly what I do with all my projects, click add sources, then add the constraints file. I simply forgot to send the XDC with the zip, so I edited the project so the constraints file would be in the source file folder, then uploaded the project

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @pstobbe and @blindobs.

Thanks for the additional files. The message looks to cover multiple cases. The first is that there are no constraints for the synthesis run which does not apply to the original test case. The second case is that constraints are read for synthesis, but not saved to the synthesis checkpoint <project>.runs/synth_1/<top>.dcp. In this case, the constraints are again read in during implementation. The final routed/implemented DCP would be different from the post-synthesis version, as the routed version will contain constraints.

Visitor pstobbe
Visitor

Hi @marcb,

I think I understand what you mean, I checked if the constraints file was used for the sythesis stage and apparently it is so I'm not sure what to do.

Thank you for all the help!

Capture.PNG
0 Kudos
Visitor onsimini
Visitor

Hi @pstobbe 

Can you provide your folder & drive structure ? cause it could be a read/write permition problem.

I had this problem working on distant server repo, usually, I generate a local vivado working dir to avoid this situation.

Hope it can help.

Visitor pstobbe
Visitor

Hi @onsimini,

The working directory is within the project folder. The folder is in my documents, I've tried running in other folders, but I get the same warning. Thank you for the help!

0 Kudos
Visitor fub
Visitor

I have the same warning and it is the only one. I do not know how to get rid of it. Is there already a solution?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor pstobbe
Visitor

hi @fub,

unfortunately I haven't, but luckily it's just a warning. I get it when using HDL wrappers of ip's like the xadc as well, but everything works as it should, so I think it might just be a bug.

0 Kudos
Visitor julio.noel
Visitor

Hello

I have the same issue mentioned: [Constraints 18-5210] No constraints selected for write.

The solution: "...constraints file... select it as a "target" " does not work.

In my case, I am running Vivado v2018.3 (64-bit) on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS 64-bit.

I am new on Vivado. I genereted the project and the surce files correctly. Actually, the synthesis, Implementation and bitstream generation works fine; even the evaluation board can be programed without problems.

I am a bit woried about this issue, it will be a drawback when generate more complex projects. Is there any solution for this?

Thanks in advance, regards from Mexico

0 Kudos

@julio.noel

Can you share the archive project? 

--Syed

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
0 Kudos
Visitor pstrgr
Visitor

Hi,

I'm getting the exact same warning when I'm synthesizing any design.

Until a few days ago I was working with  2018.2 and everything was fine.

I have attached a simple project I tried to synthesize.

I'm not sure if this has to do with anything but currently I have both versions of Vivado installed.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Visitor julio.noel
Visitor

Hi all

Sorry for the late reply. Attached you can found one of my projects (unfortunately all of them have the same massage).

Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
Visitor dong_group
Visitor

I also meet with the same warning, I hopethat

0 Kudos
Visitor dong_group
Visitor

I hope that it can be solved soon
0 Kudos
Visitor dong_group
Visitor

I also meet the same issure and I also worried about it
0 Kudos
Visitor miral_lany
Visitor

i have same things and after 3 hours of trying every things i found the solution

and it's funny

as you know VHDL is case insensitive, upper & lower case letters are equivalent

but Vivado Constraints some time be case insensitive and some time case sensitive , depending on your luck

To avoid the problem let Constraints pins case sensitive

Best Regard

0 Kudos
Visitor dong_group
Visitor

Thank you for your help,I will try it.And later I will share you the result.
0 Kudos
Visitor marie_d
Visitor

Hi,

I let my Constraints pins case sensitive but I still have the same warning.

Are you sure that the only thing you do ?

Best Regard

0 Kudos
Visitor dong_group
Visitor

So do I.And I finally choosed to install vivado 2018.1, everything was ok. No warning and generate bitstream correctly. So I think it was just a bug.

0 Kudos
Newbie lipinsheng

maybe the issue is related to the vivado 2018.3

0 Kudos
Observer blindobs
Observer

Any solution so far ??

This bug is also present in vivado 2019.1...

0 Kudos