UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor linofex
Visitor

Why worst negative slack is reduced after implementation?

Hi, during the Synthesis phase I get a WNS that is 7.043ns. After the implementation, the WSN is slightly less = 6.969ns.
I only set the clock constraint at 100MHz, no more, even pin assignment, just synthesis and implementation.

It is a little project with a register + combinational logic + register.

I would ask why this reduction (and moreover the path changes)? 
I'm thinking it depends that during the synthesis vivado "try" to guess the value and then during the implementation it actually measure it.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Why worst negative slack is reduced after implementation?

Hi @linofex.

The post-synthesis timing is using estimated values for delays. At this point, there is no placement or routing information, so delay estimates are used. Once Implementation completes, the actual routing delays are reported. Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Visitor linofex
Visitor

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. So the real values are the after-implementation values and I  should use them to compute some other values like max operating frequency, right?

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi @linofex

After synthesis, EDA tool (Vivado) estimates path delay and maximum frequency with temporal path delay.

Because of design doesn't finish place and route by it.

After place & route, tool can estimate and calculate path delay and maximum operating frequency with real placement information.

It means design can achieve maximum operating frequency with guaranty.

So, in this case, your understanding is correct.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

@linofex

Another possible reason that implementation reduces negative slack... it the LUT is not shared, the routing can be shorter... so depending on your settings and strategy the resources and routing can be different.

0 Kudos