Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saradstha
Visitor
Visitor

iobuf implementation

Hi All!

I want to use bidrectional data bus of 32 bits in spartan 6 (lx25) (tool use : ISE 14.1). For this , I have used following code. FPGA is slave device here.

***code snippet**

library unisim;
use unisim.vcomponents.all;

component IOBUF is
  generic(
      CAPACITANCE                : string     := "DONT_CARE";
      DRIVE                               : integer     := 12;
      IBUF_DELAY_VALUE     : string := "0";
      IBUF_LOW_PWR           : boolean    :=  TRUE;
      IFD_DELAY_VALUE       : string := "AUTO";
      IOSTANDARD                : string       := "DEFAULT";
      SLEW                             : string       := "SLOW"
    );
  port(
    O  : out   std_ulogic;
    IO : inout std_ulogic;
    I  : in    std_ulogic;
    T  : in    std_ulogic
  );
  end component;

Problem: In chipscope, the bus holds some garbage value rather than the value master drives(writing to FPGA).

a)  Is it bus contention?

b) Do I  have to change  the attributes according the master device's IO specification (like drive current, voltage, capacitance,slew etc)?

c) Do I need to give constriants for pull up/ pull down for data bus?

Note :  The bus is holding  value correctly during read operation by Master(PEX 8311) (i.e, when FPGA is driving the bus).

0 Kudos
6 Replies
brucey
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

a)How do you connect Chipscope core to your input? Directly? Do you have OFFSET IN constraints applied?

It seems one timing issue.

For b) and c), the Spartan® Family FPGAs board is more suitable.

Regards,
brucey
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
saradstha
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks Brucey! 

To see the input, io bus is assigned to the signal in clock process.

elsif (rising_edge(master_cllk)) then

data_bus_reg <= io_bus;

----

-----

a) To see in chipscope, data_bus_reg is mapped. I have not used any "offset in" constraint. What kind of timing issue??

b) and c) spartan 6 is intergrated in custom board.

0 Kudos
gszakacs
Instructor
Instructor

You asked if this might be bus contention.  What is going on with the T input to the BUFIO when you are receiving data into the FPGA?  T should be high to disable the output drive of the FPGA.  It should be easy enough to add the T signal to your ChipScope if it isn't already there.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
brucey
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

To sample io_bus by data_bus_reg correctly, the setup and hold time requirement of data_bus_reg must be met. To check the timing, tools need to know the phase relationship between io_bus and master_clk. Thus, OFFSET IN constraints is needed. You may refer to UG625.

For the board, sorry that I mean the discussion board: Xilinx User Community Forums -> Xilinx Products -> Silicon Devices -> Spartan Family FPGAs.

Regards,
brucey
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
saradstha
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks !! T input to the IOBUF is high when  receiving data into the FPGA. That means it disabled output drive for FPGA. T signal is included in chipscope and is high during FPGA read.
0 Kudos
saradstha
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks !
       FPGA is sampling  data bus and control signals (read/write, etc) according to master clk. So it is synchronous to the Master clock.  io_bus is synchronous to the master_clk and and data_bus_reg too. So, constraints may not be required.

Also, I will post the attribute related things on discussion board as per you mentioned. I just want to know whether attributes can affect the values on the data bus.
0 Kudos