Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

place_design ERROR

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am following the attached Lab document from Xilinx. When I generate the bitstream, I am able to do the synthesis but while Implementation, it throws an error "place_design ERROR". I am attaching the screenshot of error and messages.

I followed the same lab document in the University PC, it was working back then but unfortunately not in my Laptop.

Thanks & regards

Vishav

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: place_design ERROR

Jump to solution

Hi @vishav26,

This is unlikely to be a licensing issue. If it was you wouldn't have been able to run synthesis.

I think half of the issue could be solved by what @peadard pointed. You are not targeting the zybo for your project (so the step 2-1-5 might be missing and this is the one which configure the zynq IP).

Then did you renamed the external port GPIO_0 to btn? Could you share a screenshot of your BD?

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
read the synthesis report . It seems resource over utilization in your design . Synthesis report must tell you are using >100 % resources available in target device. You may define some of the port as internal signals . The output which are not using outside can eb define as internal signals
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@vishav26, I ran through the lab in question and did not encounter any issues (see attached implementation log file). I did this with 2017.3, can you try using this version as opposed to 2015.3?

A couple of things to check:

1) targeting the Zybo board and not just the device

2) ensure you've deselected all required peripherals as outlined in steps 2-2-3, 2-2-4 and 2-3-1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

I ran it first in 2017.3 and encountered the same issue. The system in my university Lab had 2015.3 version and I thought it can be version compatibility issues. Hence I downloaded 2015.3 but unfortunately I get this error.

I find this error only in my system as I ran it on my friend's PC and it works.

Can this error be linked to license as I am not sure which license I selected while downloading the Vivado?

Thanks & Regards

Vishav

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @vishav26,

This is unlikely to be a licensing issue. If it was you wouldn't have been able to run synthesis.

I think half of the issue could be solved by what @peadard pointed. You are not targeting the zybo for your project (so the step 2-1-5 might be missing and this is the one which configure the zynq IP).

Then did you renamed the external port GPIO_0 to btn? Could you share a screenshot of your BD?

Regards,

Florent

Florent

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am not able to rename GPIO_0 to btn. It throws the warning "Cannot set the parameter 'NAME' on '/processing_system7_0/GPIO_0' - Parameter does not exist."

I am attaching the screenshot of my BD.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Thanks & Regards

Vishav

Block_Design.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @vishav26,

This is not the port of the Zynq IP that you need to rename but the newly created port of the BD (completely at the right).

Regards,

Florent

Florent
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks it worked now

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have successfully completed till Step 7 of the attached Lab by Xilinx. When I run the program on hardware, I get a warning that is attached here. Hence, I do not see the expected terminal output.

Also, when I click on Lab1.c code, I see some red lines(attached here). Am I missing something?

Thanks & regards

Vishav

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @vishav26,

This is a separated issue and it is an embedded issue please create a new post in the Embedded Development Tools forum.

It is unlikely that you will get any further response by continuing this thread.

Regards,

Florent

Florent
0 Kudos