cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

A valide license was not found for simulation.

Jump to solution

I'm running Vivado 2015.4 Design Edition in Ubuntu 18.04. I followed this link and changed the name of the nic so the license manager is able to read it correctly. But running simulation fails with error:

-----------------------------------------------------

Vivado Simulator 2015.4
ERROR: [Simtcl 6-50] Simulation engine failed to start: A valid license was not found for simulation. Please run the Vivado License Manager for assistance in determining which features and devices are licensed for your system.

From license manager I see:

License name: Simulation 

Expiration date: Permanent

Version limit: 2015.08

License type: Nodelocked

# of seats: Uncounted

# of sets used: 0

Host ID in license file: xxxx (nic address)

Host IDs match: Yes

License CRC: Okay

License vendor string: xxx, Vivado_Design_Edition,software,permanent,xxxxx

So my license should cover this version of vivado, and it reads the correct host id. Why does it complains license is invalid for simulation?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @fiedel,

From the env.txt file i see that you are using Vivado 2015.4 and you have the Vivado_Design_Edition license which has a version limit of 2015.08. The license will enable any version of the design tools released during or before the month specified by the Version Limit. Hence, with this version limit you will be able to use Vivado 2015.2.1 and earlier Versions of Vivado tools. 

For more information please refer the below Answer Record:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/33770.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @fiedel,

Share your license file. and Run "report_environment -file <filepath>/env.txt" in tcl console and share env.txt to evaluate. 

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

@hemangd

Please see the attached files. Xilinx.lic renamed as txt file for uploading. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @fiedel,

From the env.txt file i see that you are using Vivado 2015.4 and you have the Vivado_Design_Edition license which has a version limit of 2015.08. The license will enable any version of the design tools released during or before the month specified by the Version Limit. Hence, with this version limit you will be able to use Vivado 2015.2.1 and earlier Versions of Vivado tools. 

For more information please refer the below Answer Record:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/33770.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @bandi

This explains the problem. Thank you.

Btw, how is this version limit calculated for licensing? Is it a certain period from the date of purchasing? We are considering buying several licenses, and we'd like to know this beforehand.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @fiedel,

>> how is this version limit calculated for licensing? 

The Version Limit corresponds to a year and a month (for example, 2010.04 corresponds to April 2010).

As mentioned in my above reply the license will enable any version of the design tools released during or before the month specified by the Version Limit.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B

Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer
@bandi
Thank you.
0 Kudos