Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomorrowst
Observer
Observer

Artix 7 XC7A25T device not supported by Vivado Webpack 17.4

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I thought all the Artix-7 FPGAs are supported by the Vivado webpack. However, when opening the project with XC7A25T, I got the following error. Does anyone know why I am having such error.

FYI - I am using Vivado 2017.4 webpack. I checked and it seems to support XC7A15T, -30T, -50T, but not -25T.

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Dawei

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anatoli

Hello @tomorrowst,

In 2017.4 - this particular device required a full license. At that stage you've obtained a full 30-days Evaluation license and had no issues back then, as Vivado was able to find and use this evaluation license.

However, if you'd install update 1 on top of your 2017.4 Design or System Edition only (and not on top of 2017.4 Vivado WebPACK edition), then that particular XC7A25T becomes a WebPACK supported part for which you wouldn't even need then any licenses at all, as from Vivado 2016.1 release (and newer), when targeting any Vivado WebPACK supported devices in your design, you are no longer needed to obtain a Vivado WebPACK license for this. It's handled now by the tool to not checkout device license for webpack devices. There is actually no physical license anywhere when you install Vivado 2016.1 and newer releases.

From 2018.x, if you'd install VIvado WebPACK edition (don't need a Design Edition or System, unlike as required in 2017.4), this XC7A25T will be listed for you.

So, yes, please upgrade 2017.4 Vivado WebPACK edition to Design Edition and installing update 1 (to make this part to be free-licensed part). Then open Vivado and target this part and at that point, you shouldn't see any licensing issues and you should be albe successfully Synthesis, Implement and then Generate your bitfile without any Vivado related licensing problems.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

9 Replies
tomorrowst
Observer
Observer
never mind. I found it out. Turns out Update 1 is required to enable XC7A25T device, as below.
----------------------------------------------------
Vivado Design Suite 2017.4 Update 1 is now available with support for

Production Devices

Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC (-1L/-2L) Devices
ZU4CG/EG/EV, ZU5CG/EG/EV, ZU7CG/EG/EV, ZU11EG
Kintex UltraScale+ FPGA (-1L/-2L) Devices: - KU11P
Virtex UltraScale+ FPGA (-3) Devices:
VU11P, VU13P
Devices enabled in WebPack:

XC7A25T, XC7A12T, XC7S25, XCZU4 EG/CG/EV, XCZU5 EG/CG/EV, XCZU7 EG/CG/EV
For customers using these devices, Xilinx recommends installing Vivado 2017.4.1. For other devices, please continue to use Vivado 2017.4.

NOTE: This update must be applied to an existing installation of Vivado 2017.4. After updating, the Vivado version will be 2017.4.1.
anatoli

Hello @tomorrowst,

Glad you were able to find the right solution to your issue.

As your issue is solved, please mark your respond as Accepted Solution (more info on this can be found here: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/solutions#solutions), so that the topic can be completed and closed then?  We appreciate your help.

Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos
tomorrowst
Observer
Observer

Hello,

It seems the XC7C25T devices are still not available, even after installing 2017.4 update 1. Can anyone help?

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
tenzinc

Tomorrowst,

Well next time, I'd recommend making sure your issue is actually solved before marking an post as an solution so folks will still be attentive to your post. In any case I am guessing since you installed webpack version initially that it didnt get populated with the 25T device data. You can actually check this in the Xilinx installation. Anyway why don't you install a newer version of vivado webpack??? Not only should it have more issues sorted out it should support a newer and larger device data base. If you are sticking with 2017.4 I recommend just installing the design edition and update it to 2014.1, then use it unlicensed so in effect it is still a webpack but should have the wider device data inlcuding the 25T. OR just install a newer vivado all together and avoid this in one scoop. 

Regards,

Tezz

Get started FAST with our UltraFAST design methodoly guides and don't forget to visit our Xilinx Design Hubs for additional resources and reference.

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs

0 Kudos
tomorrowst
Observer
Observer

Hi Tezz,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. Well I thought I found the solution, but it seems your solution doesn't work.

First off, we have a reason to use 2017.4. Our previous product development was based on Vivado 2017.4, and we try to keep it aligned. Of course we could jump to the latest, 2018.3, but would you guanratee us that it would have no compatibility or other issue? Now that version 2017.4 is out for 2.5 years, and with its update 1, you still don't have confidence on your software? Why should I even trust your latest version?

Secondly, I don't think what you said "You can actually check this in the Xilinx installation" is true. When I installed the 2017.4 previously, there is no option to select XC7A25T. There is only option for Artix-7, which I selected.  Are you sure I can do that in the Xilinx installation?

Lastly and most importantly, please don't go off the topic, and keep it simple. Xilinx claims Update 1 to 2017.4 would add device support for XC7A25T, for Webpack users. Why does it not work? I followed the instruction, installed the update to verified it to be 2017.4.1. I also rebooted my computer to make sure the update will come to effect. But it is still not working. Do you have any idea where I might have missed?

Thanks,

Dawei

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @tomorrowst,

This was a known issue back then with 2017.4 Vivado WebPACK edition that got resolved in a newer version of the Vivado releases, and if you just apply this Update 1 of 2017.4 to a Vivado WebPACK edition and not to a Design or a System edition, you won't see this part added.

Therefore, please follow the solution provided in this Answer Record to be able to overcome this problem and to get this device available in Vivado.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/70505.html

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

0 Kudos
tomorrowst
Observer
Observer

Hi Anatoli,

Thank you for your reply. But I am still confused.

1) If upgrading to Design Edition, which includes the info for XC7A25T, why do I have to install the update 1? As I recall, I was using trial version of Design Edition without update 1 before , and didn't have such problem. The problem only occurred when I reinstalled the suite with webpack edition, because we want to use the webpack license. 

2) Anther license related question is, after upgrading to Design Edition and installing update 1, can we simply use the webpack license, without having to uninstall or install anything? 

Thanks,

Dawei

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @tomorrowst,

In 2017.4 - this particular device required a full license. At that stage you've obtained a full 30-days Evaluation license and had no issues back then, as Vivado was able to find and use this evaluation license.

However, if you'd install update 1 on top of your 2017.4 Design or System Edition only (and not on top of 2017.4 Vivado WebPACK edition), then that particular XC7A25T becomes a WebPACK supported part for which you wouldn't even need then any licenses at all, as from Vivado 2016.1 release (and newer), when targeting any Vivado WebPACK supported devices in your design, you are no longer needed to obtain a Vivado WebPACK license for this. It's handled now by the tool to not checkout device license for webpack devices. There is actually no physical license anywhere when you install Vivado 2016.1 and newer releases.

From 2018.x, if you'd install VIvado WebPACK edition (don't need a Design Edition or System, unlike as required in 2017.4), this XC7A25T will be listed for you.

So, yes, please upgrade 2017.4 Vivado WebPACK edition to Design Edition and installing update 1 (to make this part to be free-licensed part). Then open Vivado and target this part and at that point, you shouldn't see any licensing issues and you should be albe successfully Synthesis, Implement and then Generate your bitfile without any Vivado related licensing problems.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

View solution in original post

tomorrowst
Observer
Observer
Hi Anatoli,

Thank you so much for your answer. That addressed all my questions. I tested it on my end, and it works now.

Best,
Dawei
0 Kudos