Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IkennaOkafor1
Visitor
Visitor

Bitstream Generation License for engineering sample

Jump to solution

I recently received a University Vivado Design Suite: System Edition floating license for my device: xcvu37p-es1. This device is an engineering sample of the xcvu37p device. The license has been installed on our license server and my vivado install can see the license. However when I try to generate a bitstream I still get an error message saying:

ERROR: [Common 17-69] Command failed: Your license for device 'xcvu37p-es1' is setup for evaluation or trial purposes only. Bitstream creation is disabled for this license. Please run the Vivado License Manager for assistance in determining which features and devices are licensed for your system.

Does vivado scan all the available licenses until it finds a compatible license for bitstream generation? Is there a way to determine which licenses are being checked out for specific tasks?

For reference I am running Vivado 2019.1 on Ubuntu 16.04

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anatoli

Hello @IkennaOkafor1 ,

You are basically missing a feature called xcvu37p-es1

This would not come with your Vivado System Edition license that you have obtained from XUP as a donation.

This license is only valid for the production silicon, and not an ES ones.

Based on the link you've provided, i can read that this dev kit supports both PROD Silicon FPGAs as well as ES:

image.png

So, if you are using 2020.x, to fix this issue, please select one of the production XCVU37P (no ES) parts (see below) and re-generate bitstream and you should not see this licensing error then:

image.png

That way you can then generate a bitfile for a production silicon and program this onto your evaluation board.

However, if for some reason you still must target ES part of this device and not a production one, then you'd need an additional ES license file.

For this you'd need to contact XUP and they would in turn be able to contact a person who is our Product Line Manager for ZU+ RFSoC & Versal AI RF Boards and Kits. 

They would then need to review and approve your request and would then be able add you this additional es request license file, that would include these xcvu37p-es1 and xcvu37p-es1_bitgen licensing features in it.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
joancab
Advisor
Advisor

In windows, in the Xilinx Program Folder there is an icon "Manage Xilinx Licenses"

0 Kudos
IkennaOkafor1
Visitor
Visitor

Forgot to mention I am working on Linux. But I am assuming you are referring to the manage licenses GUI through vivado. I can see the license is installed and I have also used the solution outlined here to change the precedence of the license. However bitstream generation still fails.

0 Kudos
florentw

Hi @IkennaOkafor1 

Vivado should look at the same licenses as vivado license manager.

In Vivado license manager, in the line for the es license, make sure you have host ID match = yes and CRC ok. And make sure the version limit is correct for the tool you are using. Refer to AR#33770

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
IkennaOkafor1
Visitor
Visitor

@florentw 

When I open Vivado license manager, the version limit for my license is 2021.09, but the host ID match and CRC columns are blank. Can you provide insight on how to resolve this?

0 Kudos
florentw

Hi @IkennaOkafor1 

Can you run the following command in vivado and share the report.txt file (change the path for your environment)?

report_environment -file C:/Data/report.txt 

Florent
0 Kudos
IkennaOkafor1
Visitor
Visitor

@florentw 

Please see the attached file

0 Kudos
florentw

Hi @IkennaOkafor1 

I do not see any license xcvu37p-es1

Florent
0 Kudos
IkennaOkafor1
Visitor
Visitor

@florentw 

The license I received as a donation request from Xilinx University Program is the Vivado System Edition License. It will be the license(s) where the info column is tagged with characters tagged izo5011. I have sent you a private message with the donation request details.

0 Kudos
florentw

Hi @IkennaOkafor1 

The Vivado System Edition License does not allow to generate against ES silicon only against production silicon.

If you check your license report file, you have lines for some ES silicon, for example XCZU15EG-ES1.

If you bought a board/device with ES silicon you should have a link to a lounge. Accessing this lounge should give you access to the ES license.

Maybe check with your contact in XUP.

Florent
0 Kudos
IkennaOkafor1
Visitor
Visitor

@florentw 

The board was purchased from a 3rd party vendor, AlphaData. The details of the board are linked here

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @IkennaOkafor1 ,

You are basically missing a feature called xcvu37p-es1

This would not come with your Vivado System Edition license that you have obtained from XUP as a donation.

This license is only valid for the production silicon, and not an ES ones.

Based on the link you've provided, i can read that this dev kit supports both PROD Silicon FPGAs as well as ES:

image.png

So, if you are using 2020.x, to fix this issue, please select one of the production XCVU37P (no ES) parts (see below) and re-generate bitstream and you should not see this licensing error then:

image.png

That way you can then generate a bitfile for a production silicon and program this onto your evaluation board.

However, if for some reason you still must target ES part of this device and not a production one, then you'd need an additional ES license file.

For this you'd need to contact XUP and they would in turn be able to contact a person who is our Product Line Manager for ZU+ RFSoC & Versal AI RF Boards and Kits. 

They would then need to review and approve your request and would then be able add you this additional es request license file, that would include these xcvu37p-es1 and xcvu37p-es1_bitgen licensing features in it.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

View solution in original post

0 Kudos