cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Different ISE versions, User Interfaces that different?

Studying FPGA and Xilinx tools for nearly the first time. I have a copy of FPGA Prototyping by VHDL Examples Xilinx Spartan 3 Version by Pong Chu as well as the Diligent Spartan 3E starter board that the book references. He only mentions ISE Webpack 8.2 in the book, but I noticed Spartan 3E is supported up to version 14.7 of ISE. If I want to be able to easily follow along in the book, should I install 8.2 or will another version up to 14.7 be ok? Just thinking of bug fixes and other cool updates that I might miss out on if I install too old of an ISE version. Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

Install 14.7,

The differences are minor in terms of finding things, and major in terms of improved operation and features.

For ISE, remember you need an older Windows OS, or better, use the linux version of ISE.

Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Personally

If your new to something,having a instruction that says click here, and a GUI that does not have that option in the same place is very frustrating.

If you can get the ISE the book says to use to work, 

I'd say start with the book version,

But as mentioned, its a very very old system, ISE has been end of life for a while now, and OS support is limited, 

You can use ISE to learn the basics of RTL , but I'd strongly recommend that you try to find a book that uses Vivado as its very different to ISE. 

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Highlighted

Thanks for the info. I have a Win7 laptop that I was going to dedicate to this project so no problem there.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I would have tried Vivado but I don't think it supports Spartan 3E which is what the starter board has on it. I got the book and the board for a good price so would like to just use that, plus I really like the book so far. Just need something to get going with and then move on up from there.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

sounds like your taking a very mature attitude to this, well done and good luck
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos