UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer ewilliams01
Observer

Digilent JTAG Issue Ubuntu 16 LTS

Jump to solution

After setting up a new development environment, I've finally got Vivado 2017.3, PetaLinux Tools, and the SDK all working properly. However, after running the install_drivers script, I still cannot get Hardware Manager or petalinux-boot --jtag to connect to the target. After clean reboot, sourcing the Vivado settings, opening Hardware Manager and attempting to Auto Connect I get the following error:

"ERROR: [Labtoolstcl 44-494] There is no active target available for server at localhost.

Targets(s) ", jsn-JTAG-HS3-210299A1AF01jsn-JTAG-HS3-210299A1ADBB" may be locked by another hw_server."

I've tried removing and reinstalling the drivers to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Re: Digilent JTAG Issue Ubuntu 16 LTS

Jump to solution

are you running linux in a VM?

I had exactly the same issue with my Fusion VM (Running Ubuntu 16) on a Macbook. In Fusion settings, I had to set my (virtuall) USB port comatibility to USB 3.0 (it's default at 2.0). That fixed the error. This setting exists also on Virtualbox I believe.

Also in my VM, if I connect a USB-to-serial module (FTDI), I must make sure that I connect these in the right order : first FTDI, then my JTAG HS2. Otherwise SDK will find neither of them.

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
10 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

Check what is already running,

with top, u, your username

Is HW_Manager already running?

If so, use:  kill 9 typeprocessnumberhere in a terminal window or bash (shell)

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Observer ewilliams01
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks for your recommendation. I don't see anything that remotely resembles a process related to Xilinx, Vivado, Hardware Manager, etc in top.

0 Kudos
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

are you running linux in a VM?

I had exactly the same issue with my Fusion VM (Running Ubuntu 16) on a Macbook. In Fusion settings, I had to set my (virtuall) USB port comatibility to USB 3.0 (it's default at 2.0). That fixed the error. This setting exists also on Virtualbox I believe.

Also in my VM, if I connect a USB-to-serial module (FTDI), I must make sure that I connect these in the right order : first FTDI, then my JTAG HS2. Otherwise SDK will find neither of them.

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
Observer ewilliams01
Observer

Jump to solution
You nailed it! Thank you!
0 Kudos
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

great to hear it's solved @ewilliams01, just out of interest, are you running Fusion or Virtualbox? On a Windows or Mac maschine ?

0 Kudos
Observer ewilliams01
Observer

Jump to solution

VMware Workstation Pro on a Windows 7 host

Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

@austin : could you please check the accepted answer that I wrote - I find it strange that the order of pluggin in the USB-to-serial and JTAG is important (at least on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, running in a VM, but I don't think the order of pluggin in is a VM isue).

I think this is something that is rather easy to improve in future Vivado / SDK releases. Can we file this as a request for improvement somewhere?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@ronnywebers

have you tried using digilent JTAG HS2/HS3 cable in 2017.4 vivado HW programmer/sdk on ubuntu 16.04  without VM.

We tested this in the lab on ubuntu 16.04 OS without using the FTDI module initiatlly and we were able to proceed with the programming.

VM is not a supported flow from Xilinx.

Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

@kkn, I haven't yet. I'll try to do that in the near future, and keep you posted.

One remark though about not supporting VM : Xilinx should seriously consider this - we have projects/products that we need to support 10, 15 or even 20 years. That means we must keep some tools up and running for that same time. This means you should today be able to run a software that was written in 1998 (Windows 98 SE :-), on hardware and host OS of 2018. I'm pretty sure VM's are the answer to that. 

And not only for that reason. I also build separate VM's for each Vivado version. Setup of my development environment (Vivado, SDK, Petalinux, version control, all SW related tools, ...  takes more than a day.Multiply that by the number of developers, and that's a lot of time that can be better spent on development. With a VM, you do this only once, and then clone your environment (there are special tools for that). On top of that, everybody uses exactly the same dev environment. Same goes for build machines, production machines, ... The world is moving to VM's :-)

In our software team, everything is VM. For specific projects, we just checkout a VM with the right tools, libs, ... all scripted. 

I use Vivado now for more than 2 years on VMWare Fusion / Mac, running Ubuntu. So far, this works rather good, let's say for 99% ok. Performance is also great, my VM runs even faster on my macbook pro than on my Windows PC. Besides the JTAG issue, and sometimes a video issue (like a dialog box with nothing in it), this works great. 

So Xilinx is almost there .... maybe just put that little extra effort in it, and be the first to support VM's officially ..? 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@ronnywebers Thanks for the feedback. I agree that a lot of real-life problems get sorted with VM solutions.

For now, We will relay this to our engineering teams to consider this in road map.

Regards

Sikta

0 Kudos