UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

FlexLM license server installation setup configuration guide

Accepted Solution Solved
Explorer
Accepted Solution

FlexLM license server installation setup configuration guide

[ Edited ]

I just struggled through setting up my licenses for ISE 11 Design Suite. After contact with my FAE and opening a Webcase I now reflect on this process as rather simple, but the lack of basic information made this process much harder for me than it should have been.

Here is my attempt at the guide I feel Xilinx should have included with the FlexLM license server download.

FlexLM License Server Installation Configuration Setup Guide for Xilinx ISE 11 Design Suite

Note: FlexLM is needed for floating licenses not node-locked ones.

Other Documents:

·         ISE 11 Installation Guide

o    http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/irn.pdf

·         The FAQ (more in depth information)

o    http://www.xilinx.com/tools/faq.htm

Setup Basics:

·         FlexLM server runs on any machine (not necessarily a development machine)

·         Xilinx License Configuration Manager (XLCM) connects to server and provides licenses to tools

Generating Licenses:

·         Xilinx Product Download and Licensing Site (Entitlement Center) where you may download, install or license products: http://www.xilinx.com/getproduct

·         Licenses must all be in one file

o    Ideally when generating the license file from the entitlement center you chose (checkbox) all of your available floating licenses and then generate a single license file for all of them at once.

o    This can be done manually by copying the data into one file and excluding additional “server” lines (server line should be identical because the licenses are locked to a single machine).

·         Floating licenses must be generated for the server machine (OS, HostID)

o    Assuming your server is not a development machine it will not have the Xilinx tools and therefore not have XLCM

o    Instead, on a Windows machine, run CMD and run the command “ipconfig/all” which will give you your MAC address (listed here as “Physical Address”) along with your IP information. Be sure you are looking at the hardware that provides your network connection; many computers have multiple network cards these days. This Physical Address should be listed under the same peripheral as the IP address of your computer. This must be done on the server to get the MAC address of the server since the license is to be locked to the server. The MAC address should be displayed as XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX.

§  For generating the license choose “MAC Address” as the HostID option and enter the value from the CMD window. Enter it without dashes, ie: XXXXXXXXXXXX.

·         The license file gets emailed to the user, but can also be downloaded from the entitlement center once generated.

Setting Up the Server

·         As implied above, the server can be run without having to install ISE Design Suite. This allows it to be run on virtually any machine, ideally an actual server that will be on all the time as opposed to someone’s development machine.

·         The server does not need to be “installed” in the Windows sense, the executables are merely placed where desired and run.

·         From download.xilinx.com -> Login to start downloading.  You will see a section in tab "1. Download Software" that states "License Server Utilities”.  Click on this and select the files for the appropriate OS. This will include an archive of the executables. 

o    These executable are standard with FlexLM.

§  Lmgrd.exe – To get the server running, you should only use lmgrd.

§  Xilinxd.exe is the actual license daemon, and needs to be available to lmgrd to call. 

§  The other tools are additional tools for advanced Flex users only.

·         Lmutil.exe is for debugging, Xilinx created Xilinx License Configuration Manager (on the client side) to give you a GUI that provides the functionality of this command line tool.

·         Lmtools.exe is currently unsupported by Xilinx and is used to run Windows Services.

o    I configured my license server to run using Lmtools.exe

o    However, I recommend the bat file because lmtools is not straight forward despite the fact that it is a GUI.

o    The server runs on startup and no CMD window opens, but when I login using remote desktop, a CMD window opens although the server is already running.

·         Place the executables where desired and simply launch the server using the command line."

o    Simplest command:

§   "lmgrd –c <LICENSE_FILE_PATH>"

o    Supposedly using a log file suppresses the CMD window.

§  "< Server Tool directory>\bin\nt\lmgrd -c <path_to_license>\Xilinx.lic –l <path_to_license>\log1.log"

o    I wrote  LaunchServer.bat file (this can then be added to the startup menu on a Windows server) with the command:

§  "start C:\Xilinx\Xilinx_flexlm_v11.6\lmgrd.exe -c C:\Xilinx\Licenses\Xilinx.lic –l C:\Xilinx\Licenses\log.log"

o    As seen above, ‘-c’ indicates the license file path comes next; likewise ‘-l’ indicates that the log file path comes next.

·         More information on the command line:

o    http://www.simulia.com/support/flexlm92/chap6.htm

o    This guide seems to say that you can list multiple license files so combining may not be required. You may only run a single copy, but perhaps you can add multiple license files to be served.

Using a License from the ISE Suite using Xilinx License Configuration Manager (XLCM)

·         Upon launch of an ISE tool (ISE, EDK, etc) the program will check for a valid license. If there is none it will open XLCM. XLCM can be opened from within the programs on the help menu by choosing “Manage License”.

·         In XLCM the example paths are simple, but not entirely clear.

o    The license server runs on a specific port (my default was 2100)

§  This is stated in the license file in the form:

·         SERVER servername XXXXXXXXXXXX port

§  The addition to the license paths should be:

·         Port_num@server_name;

·         ie: 2100:licsrv;

o    I added this entry to both paths listed in the manager. This may not be necessary.

·         Once the server is added to the path the license window should refresh and you should see the licenses there that are served by the server. You should now be able to use them seamlessly.

·         Close XLCM and the tools and re-launch the tools to see if the license is acquired.

I hope this information is helpful to others in the same position I was just in. Please post your experiences if you have additional or contradicting information.

Josh

Message Edited by thirdeye on 10-13-2009 12:02 PM
Message Edited by thirdeye on 10-13-2009 12:09 PM

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee

Re: FlexLM license server installation setup configuration guide

Thanks Josh,

I'll have this reviewed.  We always appreciate customers helping us make our docs more clear.

Kamal Patel

Product Applications Manager

Worldwide Technical Support

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

[ Edited ]

Here is the same information in a pdf for easy access.

Josh

Message Edited by thirdeye on 10-13-2009 12:10 PM
Xilinx Employee

Thanks Josh,

I'll have this reviewed.  We always appreciate customers helping us make our docs more clear.

Kamal Patel

Product Applications Manager

Worldwide Technical Support

Explorer

Great, glad to hear that.

Thanks,

Josh

Contributor

Hi,

maybe I am blind and missing obvious, but I can not find the the License ServerUtilities. Is there any other requirements for seeing this link? Is it possible that the link is vissible only to the person, who bought the ISE through the webpages, or somethink like that?

I just need to download correct flexLM server.

Thank for your answers

Jan

Explorer

[ Edited ]

lordgalloth wrote:

Hi,

maybe I am blind and missing obvious, but I can not find the the License ServerUtilities. Is there any other requirements for seeing this link? Is it possible that the link is vissible only to the person, who bought the ISE through the webpages, or somethink like that?

I just need to download correct flexLM server.

Thank for your answers

Jan

Yes, you must be the license/account administrator or have access provided by the administrator. I cannot see the server utilities myself. I login as my co-worker and I can see them. Interesting because I can download ISE, etc from my account and I can generate IP licenses, but I cannot see or generate ISE licenses nor can I see or download the license server utilities.

If you do have this permission go to:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.htm

and under 1 click "Login to start downloading >>"

Once you login you can see what you are entitled to. The license server utilities will be at the bottom of the screen. See the attached image.

Also be sure that you have the correct account selected. My co-worker, whose account the licenses are linked to, has two xilinx accounts. I could not find the correct licenses to generate because I was looking under the incorrect account.

You can have the account administrator add you to their account as a user or as an administrator. You may be able to download the license server and generate license files as a mere user of the account, but I am not sure about this as I have not done it. My co-worker allows me to just login as him to download the files so that he does not have to do it for me.

So yes, the licenses and license server utilities are only visible to one account. That account is almost definitely the person who ordered the software. See if they can add you as a user and you can access them this way. If this works please let me and others know so we may use this method in the future.

Good luck,

Josh

Message Edited by thirdeye on 10-20-2009 09:53 AM
xilinx_license.jpg
Visitor

Even with this, we could not get a floating license to work.  Best give up and use node-locked licenses.

Xilinx has to have the worst user satisfaction of any company I've dealt with. but anyways...

The FlexLM tool downloads are hidden.  They are NOT listed for the 13.2 release of the tools, but they are listed for the 13.1 release. However, if you are using a browser such as Mozilla Firefox, you will not be able to scroll the window to see them!

1. Use Internet Explorer

2. go to http://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.htm

3. click on "13.1" on the left,

4. scroll down and find the License Manager tools

5. then you will be prompted to log in, so make sure you have an account already. It is unclear if you need special permission or not.

Teacher

However, if you are using a browser such as Mozilla Firefox, you will not be able to scroll the window to see them!

FYI, I am running Mozilla 6.02 on Win Vista x64, and I have no trouble with window scrolling on the ISE tools download pages.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
Visitor

Searched high and low for version information required for FlexLM licensing

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/5332.html

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/33022.html

FlexLM was owned by Globetrotter then Macrovision, now Flexera

Why does Xilinx not list the minimum requirements for the Floating License server? According the Whats New in ISE Design notes --- FlexNET support began in version ISE Design Suite 11.1

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/whatsnew.htm

Is only version 11x supported?

What about legacy versions such as 8.2a or 10.13?

Thanks,

Shan