Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kolos_91
Visitor
Visitor

ISE 14.5 and 14.7 compatibility

Jump to solution

Dear Xilinx!

I have just inherited an older FPGA design using a Spartan6 xc6slx150 device developed in ISE 14.5 on a windows machine.
I have to be able to modify and build it on my Ubuntu Linux. I have downloaded ISE 14.5 for Linux and acquired a  WebPACK license, but WebPACK license does not support xc6slx150. My questions is the following:

1, Are ISE versions compatible with each other? Should I download ISE 14.7 for Linux which supports xc6slx150 even with WebPACK license? With Vivado I have experienced that newer versions does not build projects created in older versions.

or

2, Should I ask management to buy a license for the ISE 14.5 which supports xc6slx150?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anatoli

Hello @Kolos_91 ,

Please be aware that all of our customers can now obtain an ISE Embedded Edition license free of charge. Xilinx is now providing this license to all our customers who have a valid Xilinx.com profile.

All you need to do is to log in into www.xilinx.com/getlicenses and you should see this FULL ISE Embedded Edition license in the entitlement list. If you don’t see this, please let me know
image.png

This license will be enough for you to design in the latest ISE 14.7 and earlier versions.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 Replies
anatoli

Hello @Kolos_91 ,

Please be aware that all of our customers can now obtain an ISE Embedded Edition license free of charge. Xilinx is now providing this license to all our customers who have a valid Xilinx.com profile.

All you need to do is to log in into www.xilinx.com/getlicenses and you should see this FULL ISE Embedded Edition license in the entitlement list. If you don’t see this, please let me know
image.png

This license will be enough for you to design in the latest ISE 14.7 and earlier versions.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

View solution in original post

avrumw
Guide
Guide

It is always possible to migrate a project from an older version of ISE to a newer version (unless the device in question has been obsoleted, which is definitely not the case for Spartan-6). Migrating forward may be a simple task of just opening the project in the new version, or may require some manual intervention; the most common being changes around Xilinx IP which may change when migrated forward.

That being said, moving forward minor versions of the tools are more likely to be straight forward. This is particularly true of the final versions of ISE; ISE 14.6 and 14.7 were released when it was already known that ISE was approaching the final release (14.7), and I am pretty sure that the final releases were the fixes of known bugs only.

So the migration from 14.5 to 14.7 should be seamless - simply open the project in the new version of the tool and it should migrate it. However, once it is done you can't go back - migrating downward is not supported. So before migrating it, I would ensure that you have a copy of the original project (from 14.5) in case something goes wrong.

Even if you could get a license for 14.5, it is still probably a good idea to migrate to 14.7 - again, the only thing that should be different between these two are bug fixes - you probably want to use the latest (and final) version of the tool.

Avrum

Kolos_91
Visitor
Visitor
Just to finish the complete story for future generations:
To get the project working I:
1. downloaded the Win10 Virtual Machine version of the 14.7 ISE

2. Copied the 14.7_VM.ova file to my Ubuntu 18.04 machine

3. Started it after setting up the Network settings (not easy)

4. generated the aforementioned Embeded license file with the VM's MAC address (it was easy).

5. Built the project successfully

Lessons learned: Don't try to install 14.7ISE version on a native Linux newer then 16.04 Ubuntu if you need access to non-WebPACK FPGAs, because it won't work.