cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ravn

Installing Vivado in an Ubuntu LXD container

Hi!

I'm trying to install Vivado in an LXD-container. I've tried doing so on both privileged and unprivileged containers (I hadve tried with both Ubuntu 18.04, 16.04 as well as Debian 9). The error is always the same:

root@vivado2:~# ./Xilinx_Vivado_SDK_Web_2018.2_0614_1954_Lin64.bin
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Xilinx Installer...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Extraction failed.
Signal caught, cleaning up

When I try to do it on the host (bare metal) I have no issues. Is what I'm trying to do impossible? Or am I missing some packages?

I cannot find any log that would tell me what's going on.

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
anatoli

Hello @ravn,

We have seen issues before where lxd interfered with lxc and that caused an issues similar to yours. I don't even think installing Vivado in an LXD-container is even supported, and therefore no tests were done, so the behaviour that you are seeing is possible. 

Is there a reason why you must install Vivado in an LXD-container and not just do this on the host (bare metal), as you saw no issues installing this that way?

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
ravn

Hi Anatoli!

The main reason was access. I wanted to install it on a strong server where different users run many different applications, and I don't want users to ever have direct access to the host, only to the guests.

I will just install it on another bare metal machine.

Thank you for your reply! It's good to know that it's simply not supported, and that it wasn't me who did something wrong.

0 Kudos
anatoli

Thanks for letting me know @ravn.

Indeed, LXD is not supported and therefore hasn't been tested.

One note, i have noticed you are trying to install as root. We don't recommend installing as root, as we don't need any privilege on linux.

On windows OS, admin privileges are only requires for cable drivers. However, on Linux, we don't recommend installing as root, so as a workaround, have you tried  installing Vivado in an Ubuntu LXD container without root?

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

0 Kudos