cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

Is there a safe way to update the Xilinx IP blocks?

Jump to solution

I'm working on large project with a lot of Xilinx IP blocks and I've noticed that if I try to update a piece, it will reset the settings that I have configured on the block. I.e. a Fifo will not have the same options or size that I originally set for it. Is there a safe way to update the Xilinx components so that I don't have to waste time? The possibility of over looking something that could cause a huge set back in debugging time is troublesome.

I'm using Xilinx Vivado. My current design is in 2015.3 (some parts are already in 2015.4) and I want to migrate to 2016.2. 

Is there a safe way to do this? I would hope that Xilinx has this all figured out already.

Thanks for the time!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Is there a safe way to update the Xilinx IP blocks?

Jump to solution

@cpagravel,

Yes, if there are no warning messages in the upgrade log of the IP then you can be confident that the design will perform as it was intended before the upgrade.

Regards,

Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

its usually give the warning when changing the core configuration to default settings . In some IPs there are dependent setting . Means when you select certain settings will reset automatically . I would recommend to take a backup before design update.

Check the migration guide as well

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_1/ug911-vivado-migration.pdf

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @cpagravel

Are you changing the FPGA device too?

You can check the IP upgrade log to see if the upgrade is successful or not. This file is located in project directory. Incase if there are some IP differences between old and new versions of Vivado and if the tool was not able to upgrade the IP properly there will be warning messages issued to alert the user.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

The device is staying the same. I am worried about the update changing the settings I've put on the IP block, or changes in the IP that might change the behavior and cause issues.

Can I assume that I only need to pay attention to warnings given to me by Vivado? I.e. if there's no warning, I can be confident that the design will perform as it was intended before the upgrade.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@cpagravel,

Yes, if there are no warning messages in the upgrade log of the IP then you can be confident that the design will perform as it was intended before the upgrade.

Regards,

Syed

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@cpagravel,

If the suggestion provided was helpful then please close this thread by marking the post as "Accept as solution"

--Syed

0 Kudos