UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer jheison.mejia
Observer

KC705 Vivado License Issue

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Mi name is Jheison Mejia, I am working with a company called Coffee Electronics. We have an Evaluation Board KC705, We installed the Vivado 2018-3, We generated and loaded the free license (Figure 1 and 2).

Figure 1. Generate License.JPGFigure 1. Manager License.JPG

We created a new project using this KC705. We only created a file MAIN.vhd, which contains a simple register. We synteshize the project and the tool gives us a message (Figure 3).

Figure 1. Vivado License Issue.JPG

We need to use this evaluation board to create different tests on our project. We want to use this Evaluation Board without buy a license 

How We Can solve this issue? 

Thanks in advance and We hope a answer soon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: KC705 Vivado License Issue

Jump to solution

Hello @jheison.mejia ,

The device locked license that you have, with the version limit of 2013.06 (June 2013), will only valid/work with 2013.2 version of Vivado (and earlier) as can be seen from the below Answer Record 33770:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/33770.html

Therefore, this license won't be valid for Vivado 2013.3 and newer/latest Vivado releases.

Therefore, if you need to install and use latest Vivado 2018.3 on your Windows 10 machine, then you'd need to purchased an updated license file, as XC7K325T isn't a WebPACK part and is not supported by a free Vivado or ISE WebPACK license files.

Alternatively, please install VM of Windows 7 (or Windows XP) on this Windows 10 pc, then obtain and install Vivado 2013.2 (or earlier) version of Vivado on this VM Win7/XP machine, generate the license for this particular VM, targeting the correct Host ID and the Host Name of Win7/XP, and that should work for you too, you should not see this licensing error then.

However, again, if you are planning to work with your design and generate your bitstream in Vivado 2018.3, then you'd need to buy a new license file.

Hope the above is clear.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @jheison.mejia,

The issue is that you can't use the Device from a KC705 with Vivado Webpack. In the release notes:

The only valid webpack kintex devices are:

Kintex-7 FPGA• XC7K70T, XC7K160T

Where the KC705 uses a XC7K325T-2FFG900C FPGA

But if you buy an eval board it usually comes with a Device locked license as seen on the page:

LIC.PNG

Usually it's on a piece of paper or in an email confirmation. If you can't find it, reach out to whom you bought it from.

Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution
Highlighted
Observer jheison.mejia
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Evant,

Thanks for reply so soon. I have the piece of paper and the Voucher on it. I registered this voucher on my account, I used this license for the ISE tool a couple years ago (2013 if I remember well, I had to use ISE), in that case, the License worked without problem with this tool. The current problem is:

- I have a new computer with Windows 10, so I have to use the Vivado tool and a new License on it. (ISE 14.7 for Windows 10 only supports Spartan®-6 only, so it will not work anyway with the kc705).

- On my Xilinx account. If I introduced the Voucher, it shows that it was used (of course, as I said, It was used by me in the past and with ISE)

Figure 1. Voucher Issue.JPG

- On my account I can see the different licenses, but does not apper a special license for the evaluation board kc705 with Vivado.

Figure 2. Licenses.JPG

- This voucher with the license only works for 1 year? I used it, and now, Could I test with my new computer my evaluation board kc705 on Vivado? How can I use my platform?

Thanks in advaced and I hope to have a positive answer

0 Kudos
Observer jheison.mejia
Observer

Jump to solution
Hi Watari, Thanks for the help, I added some information about my issue. Best regards
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @jheison.mejia,

I believe the voucher works for 1 year of updates. So if you used 2013.x, you can use upto 2014.x.

So you would be unable to use 2018.x on the new machine. It should be possible to manage your already generated licenses and change which machine you want to use. (Check under the Manage Licenses Tab) You only can do that a couple times before you need to reach out to Xilinx Support to have them do it for you.

If that's still good, i believe you can use 2014.x on the new machine. But if you want to use the newest tools you will need a new license.

The license should show up in the license manager with details of when and if it expires. You can also use a 30 day eval right now while you try to sort out the other license.

Observer jheison.mejia
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @evant_nq,

Thanks again for your ideas. You have rigth, I could use the 30 days license to test my kc705 (I want to wait a little bit more, maybe exist other better solution). As you recommend I changed in my account the previus license (old node machine) to the new one. Now, I found the KC705 License (Expired - 19 Jun 2013)

Figure 3.1. License Expired.JPG

So, the next step was download the old license on my new computer (New node, I know it is expired but I waited for a miracle), ran the vivado project and the license issue was still there.

Figure 3.1. Change Node.JPGFigure 3.2. License Reallocation.JPG

The License Reallocation was used now 2 of 5 times. I need a new license to use my kc705 with the new tools (Vivado, Windows10). I tried to contact "supporting area" on the Xilinx page, I hope They can help me.

Thanks again for your help, if you have another idea please let me know

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @jheison.mejia ,

The device locked license that you have, with the version limit of 2013.06 (June 2013), will only valid/work with 2013.2 version of Vivado (and earlier) as can be seen from the below Answer Record 33770:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/33770.html

Therefore, this license won't be valid for Vivado 2013.3 and newer/latest Vivado releases.

Therefore, if you need to install and use latest Vivado 2018.3 on your Windows 10 machine, then you'd need to purchased an updated license file, as XC7K325T isn't a WebPACK part and is not supported by a free Vivado or ISE WebPACK license files.

Alternatively, please install VM of Windows 7 (or Windows XP) on this Windows 10 pc, then obtain and install Vivado 2013.2 (or earlier) version of Vivado on this VM Win7/XP machine, generate the license for this particular VM, targeting the correct Host ID and the Host Name of Win7/XP, and that should work for you too, you should not see this licensing error then.

However, again, if you are planning to work with your design and generate your bitstream in Vivado 2018.3, then you'd need to buy a new license file.

Hope the above is clear.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Observer jheison.mejia
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @anatoli ,

Thanks to reply about this question. I downloaded the Vivado System Edition 2012.4 and I installed it. I created a example project for the KC705 and the bitstream file was created successfully. I tested it on the Evaluation Board and it works. The only problem is the old version of Vivado, because We want to have the current Vivado experience with the new improvements (cores, internal tools, synthesis...), but unfortunately the answer is "simple", buy another License.

Anyway, thank you very much for the support and best regards
0 Kudos