Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

License Manager opens after Vitis/Vivado 2019.2 installation

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I have just downloaded and installed Vitis/Vivado through the Linux Web Installer. During installation I could not choose Webpack as I was accustomed to before. I have otherwise accepted the defaults. Now after installation is done, to my surprise it opens the license manager. But I cannot choose to create a new Vitis/Vivado webpack license, only for the ancient 2015 or earlier variant or the even older ISE. Or I can create a 30-day trial license, which I certainly do not want.

Vivado seems to work, but I'm wondering for how long. If I dare to upgrade my projects will I be screwed next month?

How am I supposed to proceed?

Maarten

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: License Manager opens after Vitis/Vivado 2019.2 installation

Jump to solution

Hello @drjohnsmith ,

You are correct, for the Vivado WebPACK installation, this option isn't even there, so VLM shouldn't have been invoked in this case.

image.png

However, indeed, with 2019.2 installation, in the background, it is still called to be opened up. We have already reported this behavior to our installation development team to get this disabled and this going to be corrected with the next 2020.1 version of Vivado/Vitis.

Hope the above is clear.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello @vanmierlo ,

Please note that from Vivado 2016.1 release (and newer), when targeting any Vivado WebPACK supported devices in your design, you are no longer needed to obtain a Vivado WebPACK license (or a Full license) for this. It's handled now by the tool to not checkout device license for webpack devices. There is actually no physical license anywhere when you install Vivado 2016.1 and newer releases.

However, for any other Vivado releases prior 2016.1, you'd still need to log in to www.xilinx.com/getlicenses and generate Vivado WebPACK license file and install this then on this PC, so that your Vivado e.g. 2015.4 can use this, in order to overcome a licensing issue.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hello @anatoli ,

I'm afraid you picked the wrong part of my message to comment on. I am aware that Vivado webpack does not require a requested license anymore since 2016. I was therefor very surprised to see the license manager pop up after I installed the latest 2019.2 version of Vitis and Vivado. It gives me the feeling that now once again I do need a license, yet I cannot get it as it doesn't seem to exist on the create new license page.

It makes me afraid that my installation will stop working within a few weeks. I would love to hear the opposite.

Maarten

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello @vanmierlo ,

At the installation stage, there is a tick box for Vivado License Manager to be invoke at the end of the installation or not. Looks like you had this ticked/selected and that is why VLM got invoked for you:

image.png

If you unselect this at the installation stage, VLM won't get called, so in this case, it won't get opened for you then.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Jump to solution
Hello @anatoli

I'm now confused as well,

Your saying when I install a 2019 vivado, as a web pack, I need to remove the tick to acquire a licence ? That sounds very strange to me, it might be clear to you, but new users would not know to do that,

IMHO, if a licence is not required for web packs, the tick box should be greyed out .

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello @drjohnsmith ,

You are correct, for the Vivado WebPACK installation, this option isn't even there, so VLM shouldn't have been invoked in this case.

image.png

However, indeed, with 2019.2 installation, in the background, it is still called to be opened up. We have already reported this behavior to our installation development team to get this disabled and this going to be corrected with the next 2020.1 version of Vivado/Vitis.

Hope the above is clear.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Would you please also let the Vitis/Vivado installation offer a Webpack option.

Maarten

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

+1

It would be great to have a "webpack license option" for the Vitis/Vivado pacakage in the unified installer. Any plans to add this?

at least, for now... i would expect to get a clear installation guide on the xilinx site, for users who want to use Vitis and Vivado without a commercial license.

I recently purchased a board which also includes this "SDSoC-Voucher" as did by the OP. Based on the previous comments I assume that this voucher is not valid nor required to use Vitis. Right?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello @joeblue ,

Please note that from 2016.1 release of Vivado (and onward), if you are targeting one of the WebPACK devices, you no longer need any license to go through the entire flow (Synthesis, Implementation, Bitstream generation) in Vivado. There is actually no physical license anywhere when you install Vivado 2016.1 and newer releases. Therefore, no license is needed to be obtained from Xilinx.

Due to this, this "webpack license option" for the Vitis/Vivado package isn't there in the unified installer and won't be added, as no physical webpack license is needed to be obtained in the latest Vivado/Vitis tools. Hope this is clear.

You see when installing Vitis, it also installs Vivado. Vivado called under the hood by Vitis for implementation.So you can use Vitis for all devices but you will need to purchase a Vivado license to enable the larger devices. 

Therefore, Vivado and Vitis is free when you use one of the Webpack parts (please refer to Table 1: Architecture Support UG973 for up-to-date list of devices supported by Vivado WebPACK) or if you are targeting an Alveo accelerator card. No even need to physically log in to Xilinx and generate a Vivado WebPACK license, as the tools aren't going to check for a license, but only when you are targeting one of the WebPACK parts in your Vitis/Vivado design.

Yes, we still give that Vivado WebPACK license available for our users so that they can use this with the older versions of Vivado (i.e. the versions prior Vivado 2016.1, like 2015.4 etc.), as with our older tools, Vivado will still look for a valid Vivado WebPACK license in place. This is not the case with our latest Vivado tools.

In relation to SDSoC license, SDSoC_Tools license that you'd get with you voucher would contain an SDK licensing feature in it and other features, such as Simulation, Analyzer and other device (Zynq) locked features, e.g. xczu5eg, xczu9eg, XC7Z100 etc.
Therefore, with your SDSoC license, you should not have any Vivado licensing issue when targeting one of these Zynq device in your design.

FYI - With SDSoC you can develop a full Zynq SoC and MPSoC system with embedded C/C++/OpenCL applications, therefore the license is limited to these device only and not to any other FPGA families. More info can be found here: https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/software-zone/sdsoc.html#overview

Again, in relation to Vitis, the Vitis tools by themselves are completely free and do not require any license. However, as explained above, Vitis leverages Vivado under the hood for implementation. This is when a licensing checks are done based on the device you use in your design.

Hope the above is clear and helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

@anatoli wrote:

Due to this, this "webpack license option" for the Vitis/Vivado package isn't there in the unified installer and won't be added, as no physical webpack license is needed to be obtained in the latest Vivado/Vitis tools. Hope this is clear.

If the "webpack license option" will not be added, I assume Xilinx considers our harddisk space and internet bandwidth to be free of charge. When I only want to target webpack supported devices, what do I need to download and install all the other device support for? And why am I presented a dialog to get and install a license?

Please reconsider to bring the webpack installation option back.

Maarten

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello @vanmierlo ,

I'm a bit confused, I've explained above in relation to "webpack license option" and not the WebPACK installation itself.

With Vivado, WebPACK installation is till there.

With Vitis, please note that there will be an equivalent version of Vitis with reduced size of the Vitis install (including Vivado components), however this is on the road map at the current time.

In relation to the WebPACK installation where you are presented with the license installation, as already explained above, this is a known issue and is going to be fixed in the new 2020.1 version of Vivado. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hello @anatoli ,

I too was surprised that you came back to Vivado 2016 issues when this thread was about problems regarding Vitis + Vivado installation. Your mention of not bringing back a webpack option, made me believe you meant not giving us the option to install only a webpack edition.

Mentioning anything but 2019.x or newer in this thread only confuses the case.

Thanks,

Maarten

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

thank you @anatoli  for the quick reply and @vanmierlo  for following up!

My target FPGA board is a Zybo z7-20 which has a Zynq-7020 Xilinx chip. Based on @anatoli 's comment I understood that for my target SoC I require NO license at all to use neither Vivado nor Vitis. Great!

So, I went ahead and installed the Vitis+Vivado package v2019.2 on my Ubuntu machine, excluding all unnecessary Xilinx devices and features. Afterwards, I was able to synthesize a small design for the PL (programmable logic) of the Zynq and load it into the chip using the Vivado HLx suite. I encountered no problems and needed no license!

I followed these guidelines from the Digilent site, which are very accurate:

https://reference.digilentinc.com/vivado/installing-vivado/v2019.2

https://reference.digilentinc.com/vivado/getting_started/v2019.2

My next steps (my homework for next days):

1. Try out the Vivado HLS flow and the Vitis Flow.

2. Find out how to use the SDSOC feature, which according to the Xilinx site (https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/software-zone/sdsoc.html#overview) is now part of Vitis...

I will let you guys know if I succeed or if I encounter any blockages.

Best regards,

José