UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor tsensel
Visitor

Linux Install SOP

Jump to solution

I'm curious if anyone would be willing to share how they install on Linux these days? It seems with the issues surrounding the license manager, your only options are to crack the software or run it inside a VM where you can control the hardware / bios dev display.

I had everything running with 2017.4.1 ran a synth and impl no problem, rebooted, and now it can't detect my mac addresses. I've reinstalled 3 times to no avail and the changes to the dev names would break the rest of the system. I can't even execute the CLI LM tools because of elf / bin missmatch issues. A node operating inside of a VM on that very same server is working fine without issues. It's starting to look like, outside of altering the software, a VM is the only way to use vivado reliably?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Re: Linux Install SOP

Jump to solution

i run Vivado on both VM's and bare metal linux (Ubuntu & CentOS)..  You haven't specified which Linux Distro you are running on your server..  CentOS?  Ubuntu?   Arch Linux?    

Answer record #60510 shows that this is primarily a FlexLM problem, and seems to mostly affect software produced in the 2014/2015 time frame.   Vivado fixes this problem beginning with 2017.3,  so any version of Vivado older (2017.2 and below) will need to use the device renaming trick.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
2 Replies
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

i run Vivado on both VM's and bare metal linux (Ubuntu & CentOS)..  You haven't specified which Linux Distro you are running on your server..  CentOS?  Ubuntu?   Arch Linux?    

Answer record #60510 shows that this is primarily a FlexLM problem, and seems to mostly affect software produced in the 2014/2015 time frame.   Vivado fixes this problem beginning with 2017.3,  so any version of Vivado older (2017.2 and below) will need to use the device renaming trick.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
Visitor tsensel
Visitor

Jump to solution

Running centos 7. I tried to work through the KB answer listed already (hit a dead end at the device renaming and trying to run LM commands). I was trying to get 2017.1 installed for the AWS on prem. So maybe that was my issue, that 2017.4.1 would work fine, but when trying to load 2017.1 it caused issues. I'll install 2017.1 inside a VM and leave the 2017.4.1 on the host then.

Thank you.

Might be worthwhile for someone @Xilinx to update the KB to note the affected software versions and the version for which the fix was applied.

0 Kudos